This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.7416 / 52°44'29"N
Longitude: -3.132 / 3°7'55"W
OS Eastings: 323674
OS Northings: 316592
OS Grid: SJ236165
Mapcode National: GBR B0.0CLF
Mapcode Global: WH799.VCR3
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 29 December 1994
Last Amended: 29 December 1994
Source ID: 15427
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Prominently situated in the Penrhos valley
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Replacing a small timber framed and shingled chapel of ease with a framed turret built in 1627 for Hugh Derwas and Owen Edwards, endowed in 1639, and demolished in 1844.
Parish church. 1845, by Sidney Smirke (1797-1877). Mottled yellow brick with slate roof, built at a cost of £1,070
Nave of 4 bays, with porch on SW bay, chancel of 2 bays, and octagonal bell tower in NW corner. Vestry at NW end of chancel. Moulded stone plinth and wall string. Moulded brick lancets, paired,with ringed terracotta shafts and hoodmoulds to chancel, triple lancets to E end. Buttresses, square set at E corners. Similar moulded brick arch to open porch with hood moulings and carved head terminals. Inner arch to open porch with hood mouldings and carved head terminals. Inner arch also moulded and boarded door. Octagonal tower offset above roof to round open colonnade supporting a conical spire. Terminal cross on chancel.
Nave of 4 bays. Collar beam trusses on wall posts and timber corbels. Chancel arch wide with mouldings carried down to floor. Sanctuary raised by 2 steps and paved with encaustic tiles. Communion rail arcaded C17. Pulpit 1845, Bath stone, bodily carved rugged cross. Pews 1845, those on N side numbered and some allocated,but free unnumbered pews on S. Organ: by P Conacher & Co. Huddersfield, removed here from Bethel Chapel, Mount St. Welshpool.
Glass: Twin W lancets c.1920.
Monuments: All refixed from earlier chapel. In chancel: N wall (a) white marble tablet inform of Greek sarcophagus bearing coloured family arms, to John Owen of Penrhos, 1823, by R Milnes. (b) tablet of similar form but with feathered urn in recess, to Margaret Owen and Elizabeth Lyster, 1816, daughter of John Owen of Penrhos, by I Carline, Salop.
South Wall: Wide pedimented marble tablet with mantled lozenge arms placed independently below, to Elizabeth Lyster, daughter of Hugh Derwas of Penrhos (sic), 1753. Her great uncle built the previous chapel.
An interesting lancet style church of early Victorian date by an eminent London architect, better known for his classical secular designs.
Other nearby listed buildings