This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9764 / 51°58'34"N
Longitude: -3.9926 / 3°59'33"W
OS Eastings: 263233
OS Northings: 232755
OS Grid: SN632327
Mapcode National: GBR DW.KN96
Mapcode Global: VH4HJ.RL48
Entry Name: Sunday Schoolroom
Listing Date: 1 March 1995
Last Amended: 1 March 1995
Source ID: 15768
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Prominently sited immediately W of the grounds of the ruined Abbey in the village centre.
Community: Talley (Talyllychau)
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Built 1803 for the vestry committee of the parish church by John Phillips and John Rees Jones who undertook to build the whole by June 1803 at the cost of 1/8-0 per perch.
Small single storey rubble-built schoolroom, formerly limewashed. Slate roof, timber close barges. Rubble chimney stack to left. Door to left with elliptical head, stone voussoirs. Raised cemented plain architrave, boarded door. 2 windows to right with cambered stone voussoired heads and slate sills. Early C20 4-pane casements with plain top-hung light. Straight joints below sill indicates that left-hand window was formerly a door. 2 similar windows to rear.
Attached lower shed to right, rubble walls, slate roof and slated barging. Doorway to gable end with flat stone voussoired head and boarded door.
Group value with the Abbey ruin to the NE.
Other nearby listed buildings