This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2227 / 53°13'21"N
Longitude: -3.5264 / 3°31'34"W
OS Eastings: 298190
OS Northings: 370600
OS Grid: SH981706
Mapcode National: GBR 6H.0V7L
Mapcode Global: WH65N.S8Z8
Entry Name: Sundial and base at the Church of St Nefydd and St Mary
Listing Date: 15 May 1998
Last Amended: 15 May 1998
Source ID: 19851
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Within the churchyard, immediately to the NW of the church.
Community: Llannefydd (Llanefydd)
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Former Parish Cross, presumably of late medieval date, and originally sited at the village crossroads. The cross was subsequently cut down and converted into a sundial base c1766; the brass sundial is said to have been the gift of Sir Robert Salusbury Cotton of Lleweni. In 1871 the cross base was removed to the vicarage grounds and was finally moved to its present location in 1978.
Large stone base with chamfered corners, with a surmounting sandstone cross shaft of approximately 1m height; this is octagonal with stopped chamfers to the bottom. The truncated top of this has a fine brass sundial by Thomas Heath of London; inscribed around the sandstone rim is a churchwardens' dedication (lettering indistinct) with the date 17.
Listed for its special historic interest as a former Parish Cross, later converted for use as a sundial.
Group value with the Church of St Nefydd and St Mary.
Other nearby listed buildings