This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9194 / 51°55'9"N
Longitude: -3.2468 / 3°14'48"W
OS Eastings: 314351
OS Northings: 225280
OS Grid: SO143252
Mapcode National: GBR YW.P792
Mapcode Global: VH6C7.N0XW
Entry Name: Lower Cathedine farmhouse and attached farm range to W.
Listing Date: 21 August 1998
Last Amended: 21 August 1998
Source ID: 20316
Building Class: Domestic
Location: In the hamlet of Cathedine a little N of the church and backing onto the road to Llangors.
Community: Llangors (Llan-gors)
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Probably C17 unit with larger C18 house attached, this altered in C19. Vaughan Poppy attributes rebuilding programme involving house, stables and barn to Thomas Vaughan of Tretower in 1777.
Long L shaped range comprising tall C18 range backing onto road attached at right angles to lower C17 house with farm range extending downhill. House is part roughcast part painted stone with Welsh slate roof and end stacks; limewashed stone rubble farm range with part Welsh slate part stone tile part corrugated roofs. Main house of 3 storeys has 3 window range of segmental arched 3/3 pane unhorned sashes with narrow sills to sides and 2/2 to centre; above 2 full dormers with similar square headed windows; ground floor has similar cambered sashes either side of central doorway with gabled porch; no windows to rear roadside elevation. Curved terraced forecourt of stone to main frontage. Earlier unit of single storey and attic has 2 roof dormers and ground floor doorway with 2 replaced sashes. Attached farm range has range of 5 segmental arched doorways with voussoirs and tooled imposts, planked stable doors with wooden latches, sloping dormers to loft above; end range of 2 segmental arched cart bays with loft above.
Old unit reported as retaining open fireplace and stone stairs beside. Attached farm range with loft has collar trusses and blocked door to house; interior partitions.
Listed together with adjacent barn range as a farmstead of C17/C18 retaining historic character.
Other nearby listed buildings