This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1398 / 53°8'23"N
Longitude: -4.1883 / 4°11'17"W
OS Eastings: 253721
OS Northings: 362531
OS Grid: SH537625
Mapcode National: GBR 5M.6928
Mapcode Global: WH54L.MBST
Entry Name: Former Post Office & Nos 1-3 Maes Gerddi
Listing Date: 7 May 1999
Last Amended: 27 August 1999
Source ID: 21640
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Located on the east side of the road between Llanrug and Ceunant immediately to the south-west of the chapel and Sunday School at Tan-y-coed; the cottages behind a low stone wall with railings, the po
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Late C19 purpose-built development of Post Office/shop and attached terraced cottages forming part of the small late C19 roadside settlement at Tan-y-coed. The Post Office/shop is now closed.
Post office/shop and attached terraced cottages. Long 2-storey row of buildings consisting of post office/shop at north-eastern end and 3 attached cottages; continuous roofline to post office/shop and No 1, stepped up to Nos 2 & 3. Roughly coursed rubblestone, with late C20 repointing to No 3; slate roof. Post office/shop has 16-paned sash window directly below eaves to left with fixed-light window immediately below, boarded doors on both floors to centre and late C19 shop-front to right with integral boarded door (on left) and console brackets, above which are two 4-paned sashes; truncated end stack to left, brick ridge stack to centre and rendered ridge stack to right at junction with No. 1. This has 3-window front with 4-paned sashes throughout and central half-glazed door; brick stack to right at junction with No 2. Both this and No 3 are of 2 bays with C20 half-glazed doors to left and shared ridge stack; C20 top-hung windows throughout, those to No 2 replacing the original plate-glass sashes in January or February 1999. Rear has continuous catslide lean-tos to post office/shop and No 1, flanking shallow-pitched lean-to below first-floor windows. C19 rooflight to post office/shop.
Interior not inspected at time of Survey.
Included as a well-preserved example of a small late C19 roadside development of shop and attached terraced cottages retaining its original form and much of its original detailing.
Other nearby listed buildings