History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pont Felin-gât

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanarthney, Carmarthenshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8489 / 51°50'55"N

Longitude: -4.1401 / 4°8'24"W

OS Eastings: 252689

OS Northings: 218862

OS Grid: SN526188

Mapcode National: GBR DP.TMQM

Mapcode Global: VH4J1.6S5J

Entry Name: Pont Felin-gât

Listing Date: 19 May 1999

Last Amended: 19 May 1999

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 21758

Building Class: Transport

Location: Near the North Lodge of Middleton Park, crossing the Afon Gwynon.

County: Carmarthenshire

Town: Carmarthen

Community: Llanarthney (Llanarthne)

Community: Llanarthney

Locality: Middleton

Traditional County: Carmarthenshire

Find accommodation in
Llanarthney

History

An architectural bridge evidently designed as part of the range of landscaping features of Middleton Park, and probably by S P Cockerell, the architect of the Hall. The bridge is indicated, unnamed, on Horner's estate plan of 1815. Sir William Paxton, for whom the Hall was completed in 1795, built a curative Bathing House at the nearby chalybeate spring and built several other picturesque water features in close proximity. The water-engineering design of the features was by Paxton's assistant James Grier, probably working in conjunction with Cockerell.
The bridge is evidently part of the same high-status development. The road it carries was part of the Three Commotts Turnpike system, and so the bridge probably replaces, or is a re-build of, an C18 utilitarian bridge by the turnpike company. The name is derived from the proximity of a sluice controlling the leat to Heol-fawr mill lower on the Afon Gwynon.

Exterior

A six-metre span bridge in axed sandstone masonry with ashlar dressings. The arch has triple keystones, linked to a bullnosed string course. Two blind spandrel circles. Rusticated piers carry the ends of the string course. Slightly stepped restored parapet. The two faces of the bridge have similar architectural design. Elongated downstream parapet. The upstream parapet blends with the estate wall of Middleton Hall.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a fine estate bridge probably designed by S P Cockerell.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.