This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7884 / 51°47'18"N
Longitude: -3.2038 / 3°12'13"W
OS Eastings: 317064
OS Northings: 210656
OS Grid: SO170106
Mapcode National: GBR YX.YKY8
Mapcode Global: VH6CV.F94V
Entry Name: Church House
Listing Date: 30 July 1999
Last Amended: 30 July 1999
Source ID: 22135
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Set above small walled garden on E side of main road, between Swn-y-Gan and High Trees.
County: Blaenau Gwent
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Early/mid C19, possibly contemporary with the demolished St. John’s Church, which stood immediately upslope of the house to the SE. The church was built in 1842 under the patronage of Crawshay Bailey and Co. for families working at the ironworks.
Symmetrical facade of three bays and two storeys. Construction of local coursed ashlar blocks. Slate roof. Gable chimneys of ashlar. Central round-arched doorway with radiating fanlight and C20 door. Ground floor 6/6-pane sashes; 3/6 pane sashes to first floor. Windows have flat heads with ashlar voussoirs.
Not inspected at the time of survey.
Listed as a well-designed and constructed early C19 house, its character well-preserved.
Other nearby listed buildings