This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2149 / 53°12'53"N
Longitude: -4.094 / 4°5'38"W
OS Eastings: 260271
OS Northings: 370699
OS Grid: SH602706
Mapcode National: GBR 5R.1FZ1
Mapcode Global: WH548.2GR6
Entry Name: Railway Viaduct (partly in Llandygai community)
Listing Date: 9 March 2000
Last Amended: 9 March 2000
Source ID: 22956
Building Class: Transport
Location: Carrying the Chester to Holyhead main line over the Afon Ogwen and then westwards over the former Tre-felin Saw Mill.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
The Chester to Holyhead line was proposed to improve links with Ireland, the bill being passed in July 1844 with Robert Stephenson as engineer and Francis Thompson of Derby as architect. This viaduct is likely to be by Stephenson with assistance from Mr Foster, the resident engineer for this stretch of the line. Opened 1 May 1848 and taken over by the London & North-Western Railway in 1859. The Afon Ogwen here forms the boundary between the Llanllechid and Llandygai communities.
14 semi-circular arches. Rock-faced and heavily tooled red sandstone masonry with rusticated voussoirs and quoins. Brick soffits to the arches and plinths and freestone impost bands to each pier; cornice and plain parapet. The end piers slightly project and those flanking the river have ramped brick bases.
Included as a substantial and essentially unaltered early railway structure on the important Chester to Holyhead Railway, the viaduct is both architecturally distinctive and a fine example of railway engineering.
Other nearby listed buildings