This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0277 / 52°1'39"N
Longitude: -4.3529 / 4°21'10"W
OS Eastings: 238675
OS Northings: 239205
OS Grid: SN386392
Mapcode National: GBR DD.GGXN
Mapcode Global: VH3KP.H9NC
Entry Name: Allt-y-Cafan Bridge
Listing Date: 4 June 1996
Last Amended: 15 August 2001
Source ID: 25706
Building Class: Transport
Location: Spanning the river Teifi on the County boundary with Ceredigion on the road N of Pentrecwrt.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
According to a stone plaque, the bridge and road were created through the efforts of John Lloyd Davies of Blaendyffryn, from 1839 to 1841. Large single arch probably intended to minimise flood damage, which swept away the first bridge foundations here in 1840, after £1100 had already been spent on the project.
Rubble stone bridge of 1839 on single massive stone arch, across the Afon Teifi. Arch, springing from flanking squared pilasters, wider to N, has cut stone voussoirs, with arch heads flanked by spandrels with similar dressings. Above arch apex is a raised string course in cut stone. Above this, pilasters taper into coped parapet wall of rubble stone. Parapet rises to N. Bridge extended to N with smaller arch added for the Newcastle Emlyn-Llandysul railway line to pass beneath. Additional arch has grey brick arched head.
Included at II* as an exceptionally fine C19 masonry bridge.
Other nearby listed buildings