This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8901 / 52°53'24"N
Longitude: -3.2518 / 3°15'6"W
OS Eastings: 315874
OS Northings: 333245
OS Grid: SJ158332
Mapcode National: GBR 6V.PW14
Mapcode Global: WH78H.0MT8
Entry Name: Pen y bryn
Listing Date: 23 May 2003
Last Amended: 23 May 2003
Source ID: 81158
Building Class: Domestic
Location: The farm is on a narrow lane which runs N from Llanarmon Dyffryn Ceiriog towards Nantyr. It is located within a sharp bend on the E side of the lane, approx 0.5km from the village centre, and faces S
Community: Ceiriog Ucha
Community: Ceiriog Ucha
Locality: Llanarmon Estate
Traditional County: Denbighshire
A C17 lobby-entry 2-unit farmhouse, which contained a heated service room to L and cold parlour to R. The house was extended to the R, probably in the C18; this addition may have been a secondary dwelling. The Duke of Westminster, the former owner of the Llanarmon Estate, may have undertaken this work. The L end is said to have been a stable, converted to part of the house in the late C20.
Pen y Bryn is of historic interest as the birthplace of the notable lyrical poet, John ''''''''Ceiriog'''''''' Hughes (1832-87), winner of the National Eisteddfod in 1848, who is commemorated at the Ceiriog Memorial Institute in Glyn Ceiriog.
Long 2-storey 4-window range of whitewashed random stone under a slate roof, with stone stacks to L of centre and R end. Original dwelling comprises 2 window range at centre, with front entrance to L of centre beneath stack; C20 part-lit boarded door with concrete lintel under a gabled porch canopy supported on brackets. The doorway is flanked by renewed 2-light wooden casements, probably in the original openings, with concrete lintels to lower storey, and under the eaves above. Immediately R of the entrance is a polished granite tablet commemorating John ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''Ceiriog'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' Hughes, a gift of Phyllis Clare Storey of Plas Nantyr, 1932. The added part to the R, probably a secondary dwelling, is slightly set back and under the same roof. It has a boarded door to the L and a casement window to each storey to the R, as elsewhere. Lean-to against E gable end, with 2 casements to front, that to L replacing a doorway. The far L end of the house, said to have been a stable, has a small window to the upper storey. ( A glazed C20 linking range adjoins at right angles and leads to a converted farm building).
The rear is not whitewashed and has wooden windows renewed in C20; 2-storey rear wing behind ridge stack with small 4-pane windows to gable end. To L of wing is a 2-light casement to each storey. Further L, added range has a gabled dormer with casement, and a 4-pane window below. To R of wing is a small outshut, the roof with skylights. West gable end has a 12-pane horned sash.
No access to interior at time of inspection.
Listed for its interest as a C17-C18 vernacular farmhouse retaining traditional character, notwithstanding alteration to detail, and also for its historic interest as the birthplace of John ''''''''Ceiriog'''''''' Hughes.
Other nearby listed buildings