This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8563 / 51°51'22"N
Longitude: -4.3059 / 4°18'21"W
OS Eastings: 241293
OS Northings: 220037
OS Grid: SN412200
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T8KS
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.9LZT
Entry Name: ,1,King Street,,,,SA31 1BH
Listing Date: 28 November 2003
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 82095
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Situated at NE end of Nott Square.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Mid to later C19 commercial premises. Nos 1-3 King Street were all part of John Davies & Sons drapers, but Nos 2-3 were rebuilt and named Cloth Hall and No 1 appears to have been left separate. In a later C19 letterhead for Cloth Hall the building is shown with a small timber oriel to first floor centre. In 1926 No 1b is listed as John Davies & Sons then also at No 60. Two shops in 2002. There is a tradition that Bishop Ferrar was incarcerated here before being burnt in the square in 1551, and the cellars as seen in the 1970s had some old walls of earlier buildings.
Period shop with accommodation over. 3 storeys, 3 bays, painted stucco with slate roof, rendered end stacks, and large close-set brackets to eaves cornice. Stucco quoins, windows to upper floors in moulded stucco surrounds with small corbels to second floor sills and plate glass hornless sashes. First floor windows are larger. Ground floor has C20 wooden shop front to right with plinth, flanking fluted pilasters and brackets, plain fascia and cornice with modillions. Plate glass windows and central door, with rectangular panels above all 3. Left shopfront under reconstruction at time of resurvey.
Ground floor interiors altered as shops.
Included as a substantial mid C19 urban building retaining typical original detail above ground floor, of group value with Nos 2-3.
Other nearby listed buildings