This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.857 / 51°51'25"N
Longitude: -4.3052 / 4°18'18"W
OS Eastings: 241346
OS Northings: 220115
OS Grid: SN413201
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T2S3
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.BLC8
Entry Name: ,50,King Street,,,,SA31 1BS
Listing Date: 28 November 2003
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 82128
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Situated some 35m NE of junction with Jackson's Lane.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Left house of an earlier C19 pair of houses, notable as the printing works, circulating library and reading room first started in 1815 by John White (1762-1818), schoolmaster, who ran a Writing, Commercial & Mathematical School in King Street, perhaps here. The printing business of White & Watkins recorded in 1809 was a partnership of his wife Hannah and the Rev Joshua Watkins of Penuel Chapel, and from 1818-60 Hannah and her sons G.W. and I.W. White traded as White & Sons. William Rees, former tailor, ran bookshop and stationery business here from c1861 to the 1890s. In 1926 occupied by Mrs M. Thomas draper. In 2002 a gift shop.
Terrace house with shop, a pair with No 49 to right. Both houses are of brick with painted roughcast cladding, 3-storeys and 2 bays. Slate eaves roofs with brick chimney to right and eaves cornice with paired modillions. Small paned sash windows to upper floors, replaced with C20 glazing on No 49, 12-pane sashes surviving on No 50. C20 full-width shopfronts. No 50 has attic dormer, fluted rainwater head and plaque to Hannah White. Rear of No 50 has close-eaved roof and one-window range of C20 windows.
Ground and first floors all altered.
Included as one of a pair of early C19 stuccoed houses with some original detail surviving. Group value.
Other nearby listed buildings