This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7479 / 52°44'52"N
Longitude: -3.1628 / 3°9'45"W
OS Eastings: 321608
OS Northings: 317327
OS Grid: SJ216173
Mapcode National: GBR 6Z.ZS8R
Mapcode Global: WH799.D658
Entry Name: Colfryn Farmhouse
Listing Date: 2 March 2004
Last Amended: 2 March 2004
Source ID: 82558
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: At south side of a minor road from Waen-fach to Deuddwr, opposite a large planned model farmyard. The house stands away from the farmyard in private grounds with lawns to its front.
Community: Llansantffraid (Llansanffraid)
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Said to be dated 1800.
A particularly fine double-pile late Georgian farmhouse of three storeys and three windows, in local warm light red brickwork. The bond at front is Flemish, at sides and rear it is in English Garden Wall Bond. Plain brickwork apart from a slight plinth and a dentil cornice at the eaves and verges. Yellow brick end chimneys to both ends of both piles with string courses and dentil cornices. Slate roofs with tile ridges. At the front and left is a raised brick-paved podium, level with a sunken paved area in the rising ground at the right side of the house.
Fenestration restored to high standard. At front the windows are of hornless sash type, the second storey windows diminished (12 panes in unequal sashes), the others of 16 panes. Thin glazing bars, float glass. Wedge-shaped stone lintels, stone sills, painted white. The front windows (only) have rendered and white painted reveals in the London manner. Six-panel door with glazed top panels and rectangular overlight.
The left side elevation has windows to the front of each pile at first and second storey, three ground storey windows and a door. The windows are of nine and 12 panes, in hornless sashes with wedge shaped stone lintels and stone sills. The right side elevation has small-pane casement windows at the centre to first and second storey and a sash window at the front to the ground storey. The rear elevation has small pane casement windows with mullions and transoms.
L-shaped single-storey rear extension with small yard at north side; door at angle with stone steps; mullion and transom windows.
Interior not seen.
A fine late Georgian or Regency period house carefully restored.
Other nearby listed buildings