This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9391 / 52°56'20"N
Longitude: -4.1411 / 4°8'27"W
OS Eastings: 256211
OS Northings: 340118
OS Grid: SH562401
Mapcode National: GBR 5P.LVZ7
Mapcode Global: WH55L.CD94
Entry Name: ,3 Hoel y Llan (Church Street),Tremadog,,
Listing Date: 30 March 1951
Last Amended: 26 September 2005
Source ID: 85333
Location: A terraced house fronting the street S of Market Square.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Tremadog was the creation of William Madocks (1773-1828), the first phase of which was built in the first decade of the C19 century. Nos 3-15 Church Street were added in at least 2 phases. They are not shown on the 1842 Tithe map, although in 1813 Richard Fenton saw 'the elevation of a new street that is to face the new church', which could refer to Nos 3-9. Nos 5-15 were built first, followed by No 3. The terrace is shown on the 1871 Tremadog estate plan and 1888 Ordnance Survey.
Belongs to a group of 3-15 Church Street, Tremadog.
A 2-storey terrace of 4 houses and a shop, mainly of large roughly dressed blocks of quarried stone laid in regular courses, and renewed slate roofs on projecting eaves with stone and roughcast stacks. The details differ.
A single-fronted 2-storey terraced house of large roughly dressed blocks of quarried stone laid in regular courses, slate roof on projecting eaves and stone stack to the R. It has a replacement glazed door to the L and replacement 16-pane horned sash windows, smaller in the upper storey. A vertical joint between Nos 1 and 3 and the slightly lower ridge line of No 3 indicate their different dates. Similarly, stone courses between Nos 3 and 5 do not match, indicating that the houses are also of different dates.
Listed for its special interest as one of a row of houses, notable for its use of local stone, retaining C19 character in an important position close to the church, and for its contribution to the historical integrity of Tremadog.
Other nearby listed buildings