History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sedgwick Park

A Grade II Listed Building in Nuthurst, West Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0274 / 51°1'38"N

Longitude: -0.3134 / 0°18'48"W

OS Eastings: 518371

OS Northings: 126687

OS Grid: TQ183266

Mapcode National: GBR HK1.KK5

Mapcode Global: FRA B67D.FQX

Entry Name: Sedgwick Park

Listing Date: 17 October 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1026851

English Heritage Legacy ID: 299751

Location: Nuthurst, Horsham, West Sussex, RH13

County: West Sussex

District: Horsham

Parish: Nuthurst

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex

Church of England Parish: Nuthurst

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Listing Text

The following building shall be added to the list:

TQ 12 NE NUTHURST -

12/401 Sedgwick Park

II

Large house. Service wing possibly dates from 1608 much altered with possible
incorporation of C18 house to east in the later additions built for the Henderson
family in 1886 with Tower addition of 1904. Exterior appearance almost entirely
late C19 in Arts and Crafts style. Built of rubble and ashlar dressings. Horsham
stone slab roof, stone chimneystacks. Roughly segmental in plan facing south
to make maximum use of sunlight in principal rooms. 2 storeys and attics with
stone mullioned windows. North front has projecting gabled porch with pediment
and Horsham stone slab fishscale tiles. 1st floor has 4 light mullioned window
with crest and shield with motto "DEUS NOBISCUM QUIS CONTRA" (the arms of William
Henry Abbey, High Sheriff of Sussex in 1935) Round-headed doorcase with keystone,
studded door and fine bronze doorknocker with male mask spewing forth 2 cupids.
To the west of this is a 2 storey canted bay with mullioned windows. To the
east of the porch is a tall hall window 4 tiers high and 3 lights across. Further
east is a series of gables and dormer windows with modified Venetian windows.
Narrow east front with external chimney stack and blocked in oculus. South or garden
front has 8 windows including 3 large projecting pedimented gables 1 with Venetian
window, another with 5 light oriel and 5 dormers. Mullioned windows to 1st floor
and mullioned and transomed windows to ground floor. Central recessed round
headed arched doorcase. Attached to west end is a 3 storey square tower dated
1904 in matching materials with pyramidal roof with copper and wooden cupula
with iron weathervane. 5 light mullioned window to upper floor and 3 round-headed
arches to ground floor with 1 storey garden room leading off to south. Attached to
west is service wing which probably incorporates an original building of 1608
though the appearance is late C19. 2 storeys pebble dashed with hipped slate
roof with 5 late C19 windows and 5 panelled fielded door to ground floor. Attached
to the east end of the building is a red brick garden wall in English bond brickwork
which incorporates a five late C19 wrought iron gateway with open pediment fanlight
and scrollwork. Interior to east part of house has a staircase hall with very
fine reused early C18 staircase with 2 scrolled balusters to each tread scrolled
tread ends and C19 fluted column newel. Late C19 stone baronial style fireplace
and panelling. South east ground floor room has late C19 panelling and carved
wooden fireplace in C18 style. An adjoining room has late C19 panelling with
fluted pilasters, a cornice of swags and cherubs over the fireplace and a cornice
of vine leaves to the rest of the room. An adjoining room has a plaster ceiling with
Tudor roses. The room behind the tower has C19 panelling and a marble fireplace with
central freize and cornice, Adam style figures and reeded pilasters.
An ancient site with remains of a castle in the grounds. Under the Hendersons
there was a celebrated garden (See 2 Country Life articles June 1942 by
Christopher Hussey).


Listing NGR: TQ1837126687

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.