History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter and St Paul

A Grade II Listed Building in Skendleby, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2059 / 53°12'21"N

Longitude: 0.1437 / 0°8'37"E

OS Eastings: 543267

OS Northings: 369790

OS Grid: TF432697

Mapcode National: GBR KVB.14H

Mapcode Global: WHJLS.5PN5

Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul

Listing Date: 3 February 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1063641

English Heritage Legacy ID: 195986

Location: Skendleby, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, PE23

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Parish: Skendleby

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Skendleby St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Listing Text

SKENDLEBY MAIN STREET
TF 46 NW (west side)

8/60 Church of St.Peter
and St.Paul
3.2.67
II

Parish church. C13, C14, restored 1875 by Sir G. G. Scott. Ashlar
with dressed greenstone to the chancel, some stock brick. Slate
roofs. Coped gables with single ridge crosses to the east
chancel and the porch. Set on a chamfered plinth and buttressed.
Tower, nave, south porch, north vestry and chancel. Tower of 2
stages with angle buttresses to the lower stage, the stage above,
all except the east side, is slightly recessed apart from the
angles, giving the impression of slim clasping buttresses, these
terminate at the bell chamber stage. Embattled parapet decorated
each side with single shield. West wall with arched C19 2 light
window with cusped flowing tracery. Above is a single
rectangular light. 4 bell chamber openings each with 2 arched
and cusped lights and single transom under a flat arch, over that
on the east side is a single clock face. The west wall of the
north nave has a single arched C14 restored 3 light window with
cusped flowing tracery, hood mould and label stops. The north
wall has 2 restored 3 light arched C14 windows with reticulated
tracery. The gable apex of the east nave has 2 trefoil arched
and cusped openings. Projecting from the north chancel is the
vestry with single restored C14 2 light window in the east wall
with cusped tracery, hood mould and label stops under a flat
arch. The east chancel has a single 4 light arched and restored
C14 window with cusped flowing tracery, hood mould and label
stops, over is a single lozenge containing a roundel. The south
chancel has a single C14 3 light arched window with reticulated
tracery, hood mould and label stops. To the left is a chamfered
arched doorway with hood mould and on the far left a single 2
light C14 window with cusped tracery under a flat arch. The
south nave has 2 restored C14 arched 3 light windows with
reticulated tracery. To the left is the stock brick gabled porch
with ashlar dressings and moulded arched entrance, hood mould and
label stops. Inner moulded arched doorway. Interior. Off-
centre double chamfered tower arch with moulded jambs. Double
chamfered chancel arch with low C19 screen under with blind
tracery. Double chamfered chancel/vestry arch. South chancel,
east window, with low sill forming a sedilia, to the left is a
C14 ogee arched and cusped piscina. Pointed segmental arched C14
aumbry with hood mould and human head label stops. South nave
with ogee arched piscina. C15 ashlar font, the pedestal
decorated with blind perpendicular tracery, the octagonal bowl
with 8 carved heads separated by small buttresses and topped with
a frieze of fleuron and carved heads. Memorial to Maria
Brackenbury, 1834. The inscription tablet in the form of a
sarcophagus surmounted by a draped urn. That to Richard
Pilkington, 1772, is topped with a pediment.


Listing NGR: TF4326769790

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.