Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1767 / 51°10'36"N
Longitude: 1.1696 / 1°10'10"E
OS Eastings: 621642
OS Northings: 146713
OS Grid: TR216467
Mapcode National: GBR W0W.2J8
Mapcode Global: VHLH2.7P5B
Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdalene
Location: Denton with Wootton, Dover, Kent, CT4
Parish: Denton with Wootton
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Listing Date: 22 August 1962
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 178566
Source ID: 1070009
TR 24 NW DENTON AND WOOTTON CANTERBURY ROAD
Church of St Mary
Parish church. C13, east end rebuilt 1909. Flint, in part rendered, with
plain tiled roof,chancel, nave and west tower. Tall west tower on plinth
with string course to battlements. Simple chamfered western doorway, with
lancets in tower. C13 lancets throughout, with Cl9 lancet and Decorated 2
light in south nave and channel, knapped flint east end with poor C20 East
window. C19 wooden porch on flint base, with wave chamfered north
doorway. Interior: small plain pointed arch on simple abaci to tower,
with similar chancel arch, with traces of nailhead ornament to abaci. Roof
of 3 spindly crown posts. Chancel with single crown post roof, and north
window recess, either a blocked doorway, or a reading desk recess, with
fragments of medieval glass set in it. Fittings: all C19, with box pews,
font. Brass: set in chancel north wall, to John Boys d.1543 (?), a fine
armorial achievement with inscription below, in moulded stone surrounds.
Monuments: Phineas Andrewes, d.1661. Black and white marble wall plaque,
an aedicule with Corinthian pilaster and segmental pediment; apron draped
and with skull and bases and enriched brackets. Achievement over. William
Willats, d.1867. White marble wall plaque. Round headed tryptich-like
panel, with Early English style arcade, and scenes from the Voyage of Life.
Set in nave north wall by the pulpit is a stone cross, the lettering on it
as yet undeciphered, with small marble plaque over to Katherine Warly, d.1717.
(See BOE Kent II 1983, 284).
Listing NGR: TR2151847232
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings