History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Holy Trinity Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Blackwater and Hawley, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3272 / 51°19'37"N

Longitude: -0.7773 / 0°46'38"W

OS Eastings: 485288

OS Northings: 159383

OS Grid: SU852593

Mapcode National: GBR D8S.N9M

Mapcode Global: VHDXH.GWYZ

Entry Name: Holy Trinity Church

Listing Date: 26 June 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1092278

English Heritage Legacy ID: 136732

Location: Blackwater and Hawley, Hart, Hampshire, GU17

County: Hampshire

District: Hart

Parish: Blackwater and Hawley

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Hawley

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Listing Text

SU 85 NE HAWLEY HAWLEY GREEN

7/2 Holy Trinity Church

-

- II

1857 (architect J. B. Clacy), 1863 (C. Buckeridge), and 1882 (the Tower). C13
Gothic style, in red brickwork with Bath stone dressings externally; inside of
yellow brickwork with flush red brick banding. Nave and aisles of 4 bays, with
apse ends to chancel and north chapel and square end to south chapel; western
Tower. The main elevation (west) has a central entrance through the tower which
has 3 stages (triple lancets above a traceried window above the doorway), coupled
corner buttresses and a broach spire (of shingles); on either side the steep
gables of the almost full-height aisles have large windows with Geometrical
tracery, and buttresses within, the arcade is supported on circular columns with
attached Purbeck shafts on the north side, and on plain 4-lobed columns on the
south side. The aisles extend a half bay on each side of the tower, the northern
recess accommodating the font. The chancel is richly ornamented, with coloured
bands, carved capitals, moulded ribs to quadripartite vaulting, stone reredos in
front of blind arcading, trefoils above coupled lights to the 5 apse windows,
mosaic wall panels, piscina, sedilia, and patterned tile flooring on several
stepped levels. The nave has an exposed timber roof, with arch-braced collars,
and 2 dormers on each side.


Listing NGR: SP7746362302

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.