History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Kingsclere, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3246 / 51°19'28"N

Longitude: -1.2476 / 1°14'51"W

OS Eastings: 452521

OS Northings: 158657

OS Grid: SU525586

Mapcode National: GBR 945.WZB

Mapcode Global: VHCZS.BY9Y

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 16 May 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1092447

English Heritage Legacy ID: 138228

Location: Kingsclere, Basingstoke and Deane, Hampshire, RG20

County: Hampshire

District: Basingstoke and Deane

Civil Parish: Kingsclere

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Kingsclere

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Kingsclere

Listing Text

SU 5258 KINGSCLERE SWAN STREET
SU 5259
13/52
16.5.66 Church of St Mary

II*

C12, C13, C15, with a substantial new construction and restoration by Hellyer and Ryde
of 1848. On the site of a Saxon minister, a large cruciform Norman church, with a
central tower, and a later south chapel. The restoration of 1848 accounts for the
re-faced exterior, the raising of the tower, and walling of knapped flint with stone
dressings; the details are 'Norman', with earlier fragments incorporated in the north
door (now filled). The west door has recessed stages with moulded arches on columns,
the south chapel has Perpendicular windows and stepped buttresses, the east window
having 'Geometrical' tracery. The inside is severaly plain, with deeply-splayed
'Norman' lights to the nave, and an Early English arcade between the chancel and south
chapel, having moulded caps. The table-top Purbeck font is C12 (with a modern base),
the pulpit is Jacobean, and the candelabra at the crossing is dated 1713. The chapel
contains brasses of 1503, 1519 and 1580, as well as a number of C18 and early C19 wall
monuments. The south transept has a donations board of 1830, and the tomb monument to
Sir Henry Kingsmill (died 1620), and his wife Bridget (died 1672); this comprises 2
fine alabaster effigies recumbant on a classical altar tomb, of black and white
marble. Unique weather vane. The setting of the church in the central green space is
important.


Listing NGR: SU5250258582

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.