This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2751 / 51°16'30"N
Longitude: -1.1525 / 1°9'9"W
OS Eastings: 459212
OS Northings: 153221
OS Grid: SU592532
Mapcode National: GBR 94W.X17
Mapcode Global: VHD06.Z62W
Entry Name: Church of St. Lawrence
Listing Date: 26 April 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1092711
English Heritage Legacy ID: 139271
Location: Wootton St. Lawrence, Basingstoke and Deane, Hampshire, RG23
District: Basingstoke and Deane
Civil Parish: Wootton St. Lawrence
Civil Parish/community: Wootton St Lawrence
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Oakley with Wootton St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 55 SE WOOTTON ST LAWRENCE WOOTTON ST LAWRENCE
26.4.57 Church of St Lawrence
Norman, later medieval; restored 1864 by J Colson, but with a retention of many
features. Nave with north and south aisles, chancel with north vestry, western tower, and porch. Tile roofing, with almost equal gables to the aisles. Flint walling with stone dressings, windows with plate and bar tracery, buttresses (diagonal at corners), plinth. The porch and vestry are entirely of 1864, but there is a Norman door with chevron and tooth carving, above recessed columns with cushion caps. The west tower has small openings, and a west window above a Perpendicular doorway, also a low pyramid roof. Within, the north arcade is circa 1180, with round arches and cylindrical columns with cushion caps; the south arcade of 1864 has marble piers and foliage caps. There are several floor slab monuments, mainly of the late C17, wall monuments of the C18 (including a Roubiliac effigy of Sir Thomas Hooke of about 1750, but dated 1677), several painted hatchments and a Royal Coat of Arms.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings