History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Amport, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1963 / 51°11'46"N

Longitude: -1.5728 / 1°34'22"W

OS Eastings: 429945

OS Northings: 144203

OS Grid: SU299442

Mapcode National: GBR 619.Z0W

Mapcode Global: VHC2X.P6C8

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 21 December 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1093280

English Heritage Legacy ID: 140013

Location: Amport, Test Valley, Hampshire, SP11

County: Hampshire

District: Test Valley

Civil Parish: Amport

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Amport St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Grateley

Listing Text

SU 2944 AMPORT FURZEDOWN LANE

8/9 Church of St. Mary

II*
21.12.60
Parish church. c1320, restoration of 1866 by Slater & Carpenter. Aisleless
cruciform church with a central tower; the north transept and nave were virtually
rebuilt in 1866 when the north vestry (appearing as a smaller north transept from
the chancel), organ aisle and north porch were built new, and the nave extended by
one bay to accommodate the font. The building is rendered, with flint walls for
the work of 1866, with stone dressings, the roof being tiled. The windows are
(except for the vestry) coupled lights with cusped heads supporting flamboyant
roundels or ogee shaped trefoils (reproduced in the nave), with a 3 light east
window and a high circular window in the west gable. The tower has a stone parapet,
with a coved base decorated with heads, and small coupled lights to the bell stage;
there are diagonal buttresses to the east wall. Within, the pointed and chamfered
arches of the crossing are prominent, the nave and transepts of plain (restoration)
appearance; the chancel is enriched by the traceried windows, a piscina, stepped
sedilia of 3 ogee arches, and a floorcovered by tomb slabs (including a finely-
lettered group of 5 in the sanctuary, of late C17 early C18). There are several
wall monuments in the chancel with small slate slabs of 1653 and 1636, and larger
classical monuments of 1723, 1753 and 1779, and in the north transept a classical
monument of 1807. The font is an elaborate 'Perpendicular' design of 1865 with a
wood cover. A particular treasure (in a glazed frame) is a C14 alabaster carving
(found at nearby East Cholderton) of a St. John's Head, with an ornamental canopy
and head flanked by the small figures of St. Margaret, St. Katherine, St. Peter,
S. William of York, with a Resurrection at the base.


Listing NGR: SU2969644083

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.