History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Totton and Eling, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9104 / 50°54'37"N

Longitude: -1.4795 / 1°28'46"W

OS Eastings: 436692

OS Northings: 112459

OS Grid: SU366124

Mapcode National: GBR 767.YK4

Mapcode Global: FRA 76SP.PG0

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 8 October 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1094344

English Heritage Legacy ID: 143476

Location: Totton and Eling, New Forest, Hampshire, SO40

County: Hampshire

District: New Forest

Civil Parish: Totton and Eling

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Totton

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Totton

Listing Text

TOTTON AND ELING ELING HILL
SU 31 SE
5/17 Church of St Mary
8.10.59 II*

Parish church. Of Saxon and Norman origin as an aisleless nave and
chancel, with transepts, with C13 restoration of the chancel, C14 south
chapel, C15 north aisle and tower, early south aisle and north chapel
rebuilt in a substantial general restoration of 1863 by B Ferrey, which
included south and west porches and a north vestry. Mostly Victorian
exterior with a few reused C16 windows; walls of flint and stone rubble
with stone dressings, plinth, stepped buttresses, four plain Tudor windows,
the other with tracery of the Decorated style. The tower of three stages
is mainly Tudor and Jacobean, with massive diagonal buttresses on the north
side. The interior has C13 and C14 arcading, with two round arches (one of
early date); there is a small Norman window at the east end of the chancel.
There are a number of fine wall monuments (two by Rysbrack) and several
tombstones. The reredos includes a Venetian painting of the last supper,
restored but apparently of early C16 origin. In the north aisle hangs a
helm, with a hatchment.


Listing NGR: SP3858402580

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.