History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bramshott and Liphook, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0892 / 51°5'21"N

Longitude: -0.7982 / 0°47'53"W

OS Eastings: 484266

OS Northings: 132897

OS Grid: SU842328

Mapcode National: GBR DCN.P0B

Mapcode Global: FRA 9667.QW1

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 16 March 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1094480

English Heritage Legacy ID: 143093

Location: Bramshott and Liphook, East Hampshire, Hampshire, GU30

County: Hampshire

District: East Hampshire

Civil Parish: Bramshott and Liphook

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Bramshott and Liphook St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Find accommodation in
Liphook

Listing Text

BRAMSHOTT & LIPHOOK CHURCH ROAD
SU 83 SW
Bramshott
6/13
Church of St Mary
16.3.54
II*
Parish church. Aisleless church of c.1220 with west? (now central) tower, north
and south transepts of c.1400 (aisleless nave replaced 1735), present nave of 1871
with 4 bays and aisles, and west porch (replacing former north porch). Walls of
sandstone rubble to the chancel, ashlar to transepts and nave, with stepped but-
tresses to the nave. The chancel has 2 lancets on the north side and triple
lancets to the east, with 2 Perpendicular (c.1500) windows on the south side: the
transpets have traceried Perpendicular windows in the east walls and gables, the
west windows having been absorbed by the c19 aisles. The aisles have coupled
traceried (C14 style) windows, and the west end of the nave has a high and large
curving triangular window containing a series of diminishing trefoils. The tower
has 2 stages and a shingled broach spire on a C15 timber frame. Interior: the east
end and crossing are as built, with C14 squints, with old king post roofing (tie
beams removed in the chancel), the north and south tower arches are C14 but the
east and west arches were raised in 1871. Within the 3 old units of chancel and
transepts, there are several wall and slab monuments, of the late C17 to early c19,
fragments of medieval glass (also in the porch), brasses, and a delicate small
classical font (c.1700). West of the tower everything is Victorian in a plain
Early English style, with a canopied Gothic pulpit of 1938, a canopied stall, desk
and lectern of 1951; at the west end is a C13 font, with a plain bowl on clustered
columns.


Listing NGR: SU8422332852

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.