History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Stephen

A Grade II* Listed Building in Sparsholt, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0786 / 51°4'42"N

Longitude: -1.3801 / 1°22'48"W

OS Eastings: 443524

OS Northings: 131211

OS Grid: SU435312

Mapcode National: GBR 85R.CX2

Mapcode Global: FRA 8608.D6B

Entry Name: Church of St Stephen

Listing Date: 27 November 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1095764

English Heritage Legacy ID: 145935

Location: Sparsholt, Winchester, Hampshire, SO21

County: Hampshire

District: Winchester

Civil Parish: Sparsholt

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Sparsholt with Lainston St Stephen

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Littleton

Listing Text

SU 43 SW SPARSHOLT SPARSHOLT

1/3 Church of St Stephen

II*

Parish church. C12 church with C13, C14 and C15 additions, restored 1883
by W Butterfield. Rubble flint with some reused stone, stone dressings, old
plain tile and lead roof, weatherboarded and shingled belfry. Norman plan of
chancel and nave with C13 S aisle, chancel rebuilt C14, C15 W tower, and in
C19 chancel lengthened, N aisle, N vestry and SW porch added. Chancel E
window C15 3-light cinquefoiled with traceried head reset C19. S wall has
buttress marking end of old chancel, to W blocked C13 pointed door, and 2
light set C19 2-light windows. C19 N vestry is continuation of aisle with
C19 2-light E window and N door. S aisle has C15 2-light cinquefoiled E
window and on S 2 and 3 light C19 windows with buttress between. To W
S porch; gabled, weatherboarded on masonary plinth. Inside S door dated
on tablet, 'Anne 1631, John Higeng, William Hebes, churchwardens', semi-
circular with panel over containing tablet and door of square panels and
strapwork. 2-light C15 W window to S aisle. C19 N aisle has E buttress
4 2-light windows and one to W and low pitched lead roof. Above is C19
clerestory with 1 and 2-light windows and remains of corbelled stack. Over
is low pitched lead roof and corresponding roof to S forms mansard roof with
tiled roof over S aisle. W tower has large C15, SW buttress, tall lower
stages with offsets, restored C15 2-light W window and timber C19 belfry
with 2 openings each side and hipped roof. Inside chancel C19 pointed arch
to N vestry with inside it reset late C17 oak organ screen of Doric columns
and entablature. Chancel arch C15 4-centred arch of 2 orders, outer keeled,
inner coved. Inside arch c1910 screen by G H Kitchin in Arts & Crafts style.
Nave has c1200 S arcade of 3 semi-circular 2 chamfered order arches with round
piers and responds. N arcade C19 of 2 pointed arches on clustered columns
and at W small pointed arch. Clerestory over. Tower arch C15 of 2 orders,
outer keel and inner coved. Tower window and S window have C15 rear arches.
In SE corner of nave and S aisle are C17 West Country oak lectern and 3 reset
C17 coved oak allegorical panels, Flemish, from Otterbourne church.


Listing NGR: SP3864227116

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.