This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8088 / 50°48'31"N
Longitude: -3.7796 / 3°46'46"W
OS Eastings: 274709
OS Northings: 102534
OS Grid: SS747025
Mapcode National: GBR L3.YBBV
Mapcode Global: FRA 26ZY.MCP
Entry Name: Church of St Petrock
Location: Clannaborough, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17
District: Mid Devon
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Listing Date: 26 August 1965
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 96564
Source ID: 1106979
SS 70 SW
Church of St Petrock
Small parish church. Early medieval origins and plan, rebuilt in late C15-early
C16; extensive renovation with new south porch 1858-9 paid for by Selina Ward-
Wreford of Clannaborough Barton.
Built of squared blocks of mudstone and volcanic stone laid to rough courses;
original detail of granite, restoration detail of Bath stone and volcanic ashlar;
slate roof with red ridge tiles.
Nave with narrower and lower chancel, west tower and south porch. Mostly late
Unbuttressed west tower of 2 stages has hollow-chamfered plinth and embattled
parapet with granite machicolations and crocketted corner pinnacles. Belfry has
square-headed 2-light granite windows, each light with elliptical head. Their
hoods comprise small granite cheeks descending from top drip mould. On north side
newel stair turret projects square, has monopitch slate roof and tiny slit windows.
On west side round-headed granite doorway with hollow-chamfered surround and
volcanic ashlar hood mould. Above is a small square-headed 2-light granite window
similar to belfry windows. On south side of tower is small elliptical-headed
single light window to the ringing loft. On south side the plinth stops at the
nave and the coursing is interrupted.
Nave has soffit-chamfered volcanic stone corbel course. Near left end is the C19
south porch. It is gabled and 2-centred sandstone outer arch has chamfered
surround. East side wall includes C18 and early C19 granite memorials to members
of Wreford family. Right of porch is a granite 2-light square-headed window with
restored volcanic stone cinquefoil heads. Another similar window in south side of
chancel but this is a complete replacement of volcanic ashlar. East gable end of
chancel has a C19 Bathstone replacement window, a 3-light Perpendicular style
window with flat arched head and plain hood mould. North side of chancel is blind
and north side of nave has 2 repaired granite 2-light square-headed windows like
those on south side.
Much-restored interior._ Porch has an open C19 wagon roof: it is bolted together,
has chamfered ribs and includes a series of carved bosses, all with the same
geometric pattern. South doorway is a partly-restored nearly round-headed granite
arch with a double roll moulded surround. It contains a C19 plank door with ornate
wrought ironwork. Inner arch of south door is tall with flat 4-centred arch head,
and to right is remains of a granite stoup. Original volcanic stone high tower
arch with plain responds, soffit-chamfered imposts and triple-chamfered arch ring.
C19 beams carry ringing floor. Nave and chancel have C19 open wagon roofs with
chamfered ribs, bosses carved with simple geometric motifs, and chamfered wall
plate is enriched with variety of 4-leaf motifs some of which may be reused late
C15-early C16 work. Roofs separated by C19 Bathstone chancel arch, a soffit-
chamfered 4-centred arch on false corbels. Nave floor of patterns of coloured C19
tiles and includes some grave slabs, the oldest in memory of William Wreford,
yeoman (died 1688), his wife Annis (died 1707) and son Roger (died 1720). Chancel
floor has C19 encaustic tiles. East window flanked by C19 painted Commandment
boards. C19 altar rail with twisted stem supports and repoussee ivy leaf brackets.
C19 Gothic style choirstalls, lectern, pulpit and benches. Granite font maybe late
C15 - early C16 but recut in C19 : it has moulded base, octagonal stem and
octagonal bowl with faces containing sunken quatrefoil panels, alternate panels
containing a flower motif. Notable mural memorials include marble monument to
Grace Freke (died 1783) on north side of chancel, in which the rectangular plaque
is surmounted by a bas-relief vase and apron has bas relief cherub; and a simple
rectangular marble monument on north side of nave to Sophia Hughes and son George
who drowned together in 1811. Church restoration commemorated in plaque over south
door. Stained glass in east window (1863) and north window of nave (1867) by
Hardman and Co. North Window of chancel in memory of Captain John Wreford, Julian
Hardman of the First Royal dragoons who died in 1900 on active service in the Boer
War contains a charming Art Nouveau representation of St Martin dividing his cloak.
Church is not electrified and is lit by C19 oil lamps and brass candelabras.
An unusually small parish church without aisles.
Sources : Devon SMR and Devon C19 Church Project.
Listing NGR: SS7470902534
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings