This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8263 / 50°49'34"N
Longitude: -2.8873 / 2°53'14"W
OS Eastings: 337599
OS Northings: 103346
OS Grid: ST375033
Mapcode National: GBR MB.X8B8
Mapcode Global: FRA 46VX.6ZF
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 8 April 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1118952
English Heritage Legacy ID: 104609
Location: Thorncombe, West Dorset, Dorset, TA20
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Thorncombe
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
FORE STREET (north side),
Parish Church of St Mary
Church. Built in 1866-7 by James Mountford Allen in perpendicular style. Nave with North and South aisles. South transept; chancel; West Tower; South porch; Vestry at North-East Corner. Rubble masonry with some freestone blocks. Stone dressings for plinths, window surrounds, strings, parapets. Slate roof. Exterior: moulded plinths, strings, labels with some head stops, embattled parapet. Windows of 2-4 lights with panel, tracery over ogee trefoil-cusped main lights. South transept window with Y-tracery; East window with Through King-mullions. Tower of 4 stages with diagonal buttresses and stair-turret in North-East angle. West door. Large perp-style bell-openings. Interior: Nave with 4-bay arcade. Piers: each of 4 equal straight-chamfered responds with sunk quadrants in the diagonals. Plain capitals with moulded abaci and neckings. Chancel arch carried on 2 orders of responds with still-leaf capitals. Strainer-arch set transversely between arcade wall and South trancept South wall. Nave roof of alternate tie-beam and arch-traced collar construction carried on carved stone corbels. Through purlins with ashlaring at wall-plate. Chancel roof of arch-braced construction, ceiled and carried on angel-corbels.
Interior features: Font, re-used stone block of capital shape on a stone base. Bowl possible C12. Brasses: of Sir Thomas Brook (d1419) and his wife Dame Joan Brook (1437) Full-length: Sir Thomas with SS collar. Inscription on rectangular margin intact, recording dates of death. Relaid and restored in 1867. Pulpit oak, 13-sided with linen-fold panels in 2 tiers, early C16, some replaced panels. Communion Table, late C16, walnut with bulbous turned legs supporting Ionic capitals. Reading Desk: C17. Flemish-style, with caryatids and foliage decoration. Stained glass: North aisle window in memory of Rev C A Bragge (d1923) and wife Emily. The church is set well back in the churchyard from Fore Street and forms a group.
Sources R.C.H.M. Dorset I, p. 239(1).
Listing NGR: ST3759903346
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings