History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Houghton Mill

A Grade II* Listed Building in Houghton and Wyton, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3309 / 52°19'51"N

Longitude: -0.1206 / 0°7'14"W

OS Eastings: 528160

OS Northings: 271975

OS Grid: TL281719

Mapcode National: GBR K43.SCZ

Mapcode Global: VHGLX.VNLZ

Entry Name: Houghton Mill

Listing Date: 24 October 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1128403

English Heritage Legacy ID: 54103

Location: Houghton and Wyton, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE28

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire

Parish: Houghton and Wyton

Traditional County: Huntingdonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Houghton with Wyton St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Listing Text

HOUGHTON AND WYTON
1.
5140
TL 2871
14/1
24.10.51

MILL STREET
(south side)
Houghton
Houghton Mill

II*
GV
2.
C17 water mill, rebuilt and extended in C18 and C19. Three-storeys and attics. Gault
brick, red brick and two inch brick. Part timber-framed and weather-boarded with plain
tile roof and gabled gantries. Pivot hung windows with glazing bars. Modern external
wooden fire staircase with two landing stages. Open, through passage to right of centre
with foot bridges on either side of mill spanning two weirs. Three original, breast-
driven wheels removed in 1931 and replaced by modern sluices.
Interior: Three pairs of grinding stones still in situ on grinding floor with other
mill machinery intact; storage bins and shoots at first and second-floor levels.
Original staircase, floors and trap-doors.
Mills have been recorded on this site since 974. The present mill replaces one burnt
down in C17. It ceased to work in 1930 and became a Youth Hostel in 1934. In 1939 it
was given to the National Trust. It is now the only surviving watermill on the
River Ouse in the old county of Huntingdonshire. It is noted for its picturesque setting
and is frequented by landscape artists.
(Ref P.G.M. Dickinson, 1973)
(RCHM Huntingdonshire Mon 6 p 144).


Listing NGR: TL2816071975

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.