History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Thomas of Canterbury

A Grade II* Listed Building in Tangley, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2702 / 51°16'12"N

Longitude: -1.5225 / 1°31'20"W

OS Eastings: 433409

OS Northings: 152448

OS Grid: SU334524

Mapcode National: GBR 71X.CX0

Mapcode Global: VHC2K.KBHL

Entry Name: Church of St Thomas of Canterbury

Listing Date: 27 September 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1156218

English Heritage Legacy ID: 139937

Location: Tangley, Test Valley, Hampshire, SP11

County: Hampshire

District: Test Valley

Civil Parish: Tangley

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Hatherden with Tangley

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Chute

Listing Text

SU 35 SW TANGLEY TANGLEY


4/4 Church of St. Thomas
of Canterbury

II*

Parish church. Of early medieval origin, mainly a rebuild of 1875 to the
design of William White, with a western tower of 1898. Single cell, with a
small apse (on old foundations), a north transept, north vestry at the west end,
and south porch. Plain tile roof overall, with a lower apse roof of 5 hips
above a semi-circular eaves. The walls are of coarse flints with 2 thin
horizontal bands of tiles, stone chequer pattern in the upper part of the apse,
stone dressings; buttresses, plinth, coupled windows (one triple) with
cusping and plate tracery, and 2 very small apse windows. The east gable (an
early fragment) has a coupled opening with round arches on simple impost blocks
of early Romanesque form. The tower is of stone, with flat corner buttresses,
an octagonal stair turret at the south-west corner, and a shingled broach spire.
Within, the church is plain: in the apse the south window is set within a
2-arched arcade; the chancel arch (in the very thick east wall) is pointed,
with impost blocks, the tower arch has many mouldings, merging with the jamb,
the inner mouldings finishing on carved brackets. The chief feature of the
church is a lead font (probably early C17), being a tub on a C20 fluted wooden
base, and having raised cast ornament, of fleur-de-lys, thistle and rose.


Listing NGR: SP3341052448

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.