History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Kings Worthy, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0883 / 51°5'17"N

Longitude: -1.2976 / 1°17'51"W

OS Eastings: 449290

OS Northings: 132341

OS Grid: SU492323

Mapcode National: GBR 85P.NRP

Mapcode Global: FRA 8657.VNN

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 5 December 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1156360

English Heritage Legacy ID: 145714

Location: Kings Worthy, Winchester, Hampshire, SO23

County: Hampshire

District: Winchester

Civil Parish: Kings Worthy

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: King's Worthy

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Littleton

Listing Text

SU 4932 KINGS WORTHY LONDON ROAD

12/19 Church of St Mary
5.12.55
GV II*

Parish church. Late C12 in origin, C15 tower and windows, rebuilt and extended
1864 by J Colson and later. Rubble flint with different types of limestone
dressings, old plain tile and leaded roofs. Plan of medieval chancel, nave,
S aisle and W tower, chancel rebuilt C19 and polygonal vestry added to N and
Later S chapel built Chancel has C19 Perp. 3-light E window with 3 panels of
tracery below, and kneelered gable. Chapel has 3-light Perp E window, diagonal
SE buttress and stone parapet. N chancel wall has C19 2-light Perp window and
NE octagonal, pointed roofed vestry, with shoulder-arched door, lancets, and
medieval style stone chimney. S chapel wall has 2 reused C15 2-light Perp
windows either side of reused C13 Decorated 3-light windows, and crennelated
parapet with lions head corbels. S aisle wall has stepped buttress near E and
3 restored C16 2-light square headed cinquefoiled windows. N nave wall has
3 C19 2-light trefoiled windows with stepped buttresses between. C15 W tower
has reused restored late C12 W round-headed doorway of 2 orders with keeled
rolls to each continued down jambs and above C16 2-light cinquefoiled window
with string course above and on upper stages on each face squared headed light
except to N and S in belfry which have 2-light C16 square headed windows.
Inside chancel E window has black marble nook shafts. Arcade of 2 4-centred
moulded arches to S with tomb chest beneath decorated with 4 cusped quatrefoils
containing shields. C15 brass inscription in corner. Corbelled pointed chancel
arch. Nave S arcade of 4 2-orderd 4-centres arches on octagonal piers. Splayed
rear arches to N. Tower arch c.1300, pointed of 2 chamfered orders with imposts
but hits wall above springing. S aisle has splayed rear arches. Font C14 octagonal
with carved sides of quatrefoils with shields or circles inside, stem has
cinquefoiled panels, and it stands on base of C12 font. N wall has royal coat
of arms 'GR 1774' and sarcophagus monument 1819 to Rev George Armstrong.
Floor slab 1776 to Rob Carnell. In aisle, monuments: 1767 to Rev John Imber;
1819 to Rev Swanton; 1826 to Rev William Short; 1841 Mary Brereton: and a solid
armorial board.


Listing NGR: SU4938532514

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.