History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hardwick, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2086 / 52°12'30"N

Longitude: 0.0069 / 0°0'24"E

OS Eastings: 537229

OS Northings: 258607

OS Grid: TL372586

Mapcode National: GBR K5T.GL6

Mapcode Global: VHHK1.2RJ7

Entry Name: Parish Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 31 August 1962

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1163557

English Heritage Legacy ID: 51168

Location: Hardwick, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB23

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Hardwick

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Hardwick St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Hardwick

Listing Text

TL 35 NE HARDWICK MAIN STREET
(West Side)

8/141 Parish Church of
31.8.62 St Mary

II*

Parish Church. Late C14, nave, chancel, and tower with one notably earlier
C14 chancel window. Restored in 1901 by Mr Rickett of Abingdon directed by
Detmar Blow (1867-1939). Walls of field stones with limestone and clunch
dressings. Roofs of tiles and slate. South elevation: Tower of three
stages offset at each stage, with plinth and embattled parapet and without
buttresses. Belfry light round-headed arch in two-centred sealed arch.
Ashlar octagonal spire with spirelights. Nave with parapet gable extending
as buttress to east, diagonal buttress to west. Three two-light traceried
windows, south doorway with chamfered jambs and moulded head, south porch,
C15 with semi octagonal shafts to archway with four-centred head. Chancel
with diagonal buttress of two stages, one early C14 window of two-trefoiled-
lights with net tracery and one window of two cinquefoiled lights with
quatrefoil. Interior: chancel arch C15 with semi octagonal shafts and two
chamfered orders, tower arch of three, and two chamfered orders. Fine C15
queen-post roofs to chancel and nave with embattled cornices. Font,
octagonal bowl with splayed underside on modern base C13. Piscina with
four-centred arch, C15. Gothic, cast iron communion rail c.1900. Oak chest
C17.

RCHM West Cambs. p127, mon. 1 (plate 102)
Pevsner: Buildings of England, p400
VCH, Vol. V, p104


Listing NGR: TL3722958607

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.