Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7481 / 50°44'52"N
Longitude: -3.068 / 3°4'4"W
OS Eastings: 324750
OS Northings: 94815
OS Grid: SY247948
Mapcode National: GBR PD.VC77
Mapcode Global: FRA 47G3.GL1
Entry Name: Colcombe Castle House
Location: Colyton, East Devon, Devon, EX24
District: East Devon
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Listing Date: 8 May 1967
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 87829
Source ID: 1170102
SY 29 SW COLYTON COLCOMBE
8.5.67 Colcombe Castle House
House. Circa C17 with later alterations. Stone rubble with quoins and rendered
front. Slate roof with gabled ends. Two stoeys. Two window range. Modern metal
frame casements replace former stone mullion windows. Central plank door with
modern gabled porch. Extended at rear to form deep plan and with further extension
with catslide roof. Interior heavy stopped chamfer ceiling beams.
On the site of and possibly incorporating some of the remains of Colcombe Castle one
of the seats of the Courtenays, Earls of Devon, and first built in late C13, by Hugh
de Courtenay, partly rebuilt by Henry Courtenay, Marquis of Exeter, but after his
execution in 1540 it was confiscated by the Crown. Returned to Edward Marquis of
Exeter who died in 1556. Bought by William Pole of Shute whose son William Pole the
historian and antiquarian completed the house and made Colcombe his residence.
Listing NGR: SY2475094815
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings