This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1532 / 51°9'11"N
Longitude: -1.3194 / 1°19'9"W
OS Eastings: 447695
OS Northings: 139541
OS Grid: SU476395
Mapcode National: GBR 84W.P6W
Mapcode Global: VHD0Q.28TV
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 5 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1178539
English Heritage Legacy ID: 145263
Location: Wonston, Winchester, Hampshire, SO21
Civil Parish: Wonston
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Wonston
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 43 NE WONSTON WONSTON
4/11 Church of The Holy
5.12. 55 Trinity
Church. C12, C13, C15, 1830, restored 1872, 1909. Flint rubble, mostly
rendered with stone dressings, plain tile roof. Nave and Chancel of the
Norman period, West tower C15, 1830. North aisle, 1872, South porch, 1909.
Vestry to tower. The chancel has a lancet window in each side and a C19
Perpendicular 3-light East window. The South nave wall has a late C20 re-
placement 3-light Perpendicular window and a cinquefoiled light restored
1909. South doorway C.1200 is an imprecisely moulded semicircular arch,
of rounded section of 2 orders, like the chancel arch, with tiled gabled
timber porch. Tower of 3 stages has battlements, diagonal buttresses with
set-offs and stair tower at South-East, and a 6 six bell peel dated 1802.
Perpendicular style 2-light bell-openings, 3-light West window on middle
stage and reused C15 cinquefoil head and West door with hollow chamfers on
the bottom stage. Chancel roof 1909, nave roof 1872. Chancel arch, partly
restored, is pointed of 2 rounded orders, with triple responds and capitals
derived from decorated trumpet scallops, mostly of tripartite fleur-de-lis
leaves, but the bases are later. There is an aumbry. East window rear arch
shows signs of a 3-light lancet, but the side lancets have trefoiled heads
to their rear arches. Stained glass by Powells and Morris & Co. 1909. North
arcade, possibly 1830, has slender continuously moulded piers and arches.
There is a 1714 solid board benefactors notice and the royal coat of arms
of George IV. The furnishings date from 1872, with a Perpendicular style
Listing NGR: SP4640139445
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings