History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Edmund

A Grade II* Listed Building in Walesby, Nottinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2294 / 53°13'45"N

Longitude: -0.9753 / 0°58'31"W

OS Eastings: 468501

OS Northings: 370754

OS Grid: SK685707

Mapcode National: GBR BH5.D8K

Mapcode Global: WHFGT.Z3R2

Entry Name: Church of St Edmund

Listing Date: 11 August 1961

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1178711

English Heritage Legacy ID: 241943

Location: Walesby, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG22

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Newark and Sherwood

Parish: Walesby

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Walesby

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Listing Text

WALESBY TUXFORD ROAD
SK 67 SE
(south side)
1/93 Church of
St. Edmund
11.8.61
II*

Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15, partly rebuilt early C16 by
Stanhope family, C17, 1886 and 1925. Dressed stone and coursed
rubble. Partly rendered. Ashlar dressings. Gabled and lean-to
leaded and pantile roofs. Partial chamfered and moulded plinth,
sill band, chamfered eaves. West tower, nave, chancel, organ
chamber, south aisle, south porch. West tower, C15 and early
C16, 3 stages. 3 coved string courses, 3 gargoyles and spout,
crenellated parapet with Stanhope Arms in panel with hood mould,
cusped ogee cutout, and 4 crocketed pinnacles. 2 diagonal
buttresses to west, 3 setoffs. First stage to west adjoining C20
boiler house. Above, late C15 triple lancet with ogee and round
heads, panel tracery and hood mould. Third stage has 4 louvred
double lancets with four centred arched reveals and hood moulds.
Nave north side, 3 bays, rebuilt early C16, has 4 buttresses, 2
setoffs, sill band and crenellated parapet. To west, C13 moulded
doorway with hood mould, flanked to east by 2 and to west by
single C16 triple lancets with trefoil heads, elliptical headed
reveals and hood moulds. Clerestory has 3 similar double lancets
on each side. Organ chamber, to north, late C19, single bay, C13
style. To north, 2 clasping buttresses, single lancet with hood
mould and coped gable with kneelers. Chancel, early C14, 2 bays,
has single buttress to north. East end has stepped sill band and
C14 triple lancet with intersecting tracery and hood mould with
mask crest and single stop. South side has central priest's door
with coved four centred arched head and studded C17 door.
Flanked by single C17 double lancets with cusped round heads and
hood moulds, on different levels. South aisle, C14, 3 unequal
bays, has diagonal buttress to west and 2 buttresses to south, 2
setoffs, and coped gables. East end has C15 triple lancet with
trefoil heads, Tudor arched reveal and hood mould. South side
has to east, C15 triple lancet with cusped ogee heads, square
headed reveal and hood mould. To west, and at west end, similar
double lancets, that to south heavily restored. South porch,
C19, converted to vestry C20. South gable has brick infill with
2 casements, and above, arched tie beam and gable with
bargeboards. Inner south doorway, C12, round headed, chamfered
and rebated, with hood mould. Nave south arcade, C13, 4 bays,
has 3 round piers with chamfered octagonal bases and ringed cove
moulded capitals. 2 matching responds. Double chamfered and
rebated arches. North side has C19 panelled dado. C19
principal rafter roof with arched tie beams and curved brackets.
Chancel arch, C13, double chamfered and rebated, with faceted
conical imposts and C20 timber screen. South aisle has to east
remains of coved round bracket. Lean-to roof with cusped
brackets, 1886. Chancel arch, c.1300, chamfered and rebated
arris. C20 Perpendicular style screen. Chancel north side has
to west organ case, late C19 in C16 style with stencilled
decoration and text. To east, squint converted to aumbry, C20.
East end has C20 gradine and tabernacle. South side has to east
restored C13 piscina with partial stem and trefoil head. Above
it, re-set mask. To right, seat in window recess. C19 panelled
wagon vaulted ceiling. Fittings include chip-carved octagonal
panelled pulpit, C17. Round tub font on round stem with water
holding base, C14. 8 oak benches, C16, with bolection moulding
and dentillation. Other benches are C20 copies. C17 armchair
with carved panelled back. C18 parish chest. C19 stalls, desks
and lectern. Monuments include C14 effigy to Lady Elizabeth
Stanhope, C14, re-sited from Haughton. Classical wall war
memorial, 1918. Brasses C19 and C20.


Listing NGR: SK6850170754

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.