This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8072 / 52°48'25"N
Longitude: -2.1157 / 2°6'56"W
OS Eastings: 392299
OS Northings: 323296
OS Grid: SJ922232
Mapcode National: GBR 16Q.ZXC
Mapcode Global: WHBDT.GPRT
Entry Name: Borough Hall
Listing Date: 17 December 1971
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1195382
English Heritage Legacy ID: 383961
Location: Stafford, Staffordshire, ST16
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Stafford St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ9223SW EASTGATE STREET
590-1/10/19 (South West side)
17/12/71 Borough Hall
Borough hall, now theatre. 1877 with later C19 addition.
French Gothic style. By Henry Ward of Stafford Brick with
ashlar dressings; slate roof.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; symmetrical 9-window range. Ground floor
of rock-faced stone with frieze of shields above, brick
diapering over 1st floor windows and top modillioned ashlar
cornice and parapet; centre breaks forward under coped gable,
flanking gablets. Entrance of 2 orders has polished marble
shafts and C20 inserted canopy over paired panelled doors.
Ground floor has 7 windows to each side in rhythmical
arrangement of large and small arches, piers with nook shafts,
weathered sills and continuous hood moulds; end entrances; 1st
floor has central 4-light plate tracery window with red
sandstone shafts, canted balcony on moulded base has arcading,
other windows of 2 lights, foliate impost bands. Roundels over
1st floor windows, round shafts to ends and gabled centre are
corbelled from impost level; gable has 2 quatrefoils with
projecting heads and wheel window set in diapered band,
similar wheel windows to gablets.
Addition to left of 2 storeys; 3-window range. Ashlar plinth,
terracotta dressings, 2 string courses and 1st floor impost
course, and top modillioned cornice and parapet with blind
roundels. Ground floor has windows with 4-centred heads,
originally of 3 lights with ovolo mullions, now with
tripartite pointed sashes; 1st floor has windows of 3 pointed
lights with transoms and enriched aprons, and tympanums with
enriched panels; diapering over windows with 2 profile
medallions; roof has iron cresting and skylights.
INTERIOR: much altered but retaining staircase to rear of
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: London:
Listing NGR: SJ9228023300
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings