History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Church of St Bartholomew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Penn, City of Wolverhampton

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5553 / 52°33'18"N

Longitude: -2.157 / 2°9'25"W

OS Eastings: 389452

OS Northings: 295281

OS Grid: SO894952

Mapcode National: GBR 15X.ZD

Mapcode Global: VH913.K1JG

Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew

Location: Wolverhampton, WV4

County: City of Wolverhampton

Locality: Penn

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Listing Date: 3 February 1977

Last Amended: 31 March 1992

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 378614

Source ID: 1201886

Listing Text


WOLVERHAMPTON

SO89NE VICARAGE ROAD, Penn
895-1/4/344 (East side)
03/02/77 Church of St Bartholomew
(Formerly Listed as:
VICARAGE ROAD, Upper Penn
Church of St Bartholomew)

GV II*

Church. C14 north arcade with C15 west part; C15 tower,
encased 1765; north west annexe, 1826; south aisle, 1845, by
W.Evans; east bay of south aisle, chancel, north organ loft
and south vestry, 1871, by E.G.Paley. Ashlar with brick to
tower and annexe; tile roofs, with cresting to east parts,
coped gables. Chancel has gable cross, 5-light east window
with intersecting tracery, hood with headstops, large offset
angle buttresses, 2-light north window; gabled organ loft has
plaque with Latin inscription giving architect as J.Lavender;
chapel has 3-light east window with intersecting tracery and
2-light south window, large offset buttresses; gabled vestry
has 2-light window and diagonal buttresses. Gabled 5-bay north
aisle of dressed squared stone has C19 lancets with splayed
reveals, head of blocked round-headed window; south aisle has
2-light west window with Decorated tracery, 3 cusped lancets
with splayed reveals between offset buttresses to south,
cornice; east part has later lancets with headstops to hoods,
rainwater head dated: 1871. 4-stage tower has ashlar plinth,
platt bands, top stage has impost course, cornice and
embattled parapet with pinnacles, quoins; pointed entrance
with bolection-moulded architrave, oval panel with label mould
above records restoration of 1765, roundel to south; large
pointed window with ashlar architrave to 2nd stage; 3rd stage
has clock face and inscribed panel, quatrefoils to returns;
top stage has pointed louvred bell openings with engrailed
aprons and ogee hood. Annexe has rusticated quoins, pointed
window with leaded glazing, oval panel above has date: 1826;
ashlar north elavation.
INTERIOR: arch-braced collar trusses; chancel has arch to
organ loft and 3-bay south arcade, niche to north has shelf
and arch on enriched corbels, chancel arch on filleted shafts;
chapel arch dies into jambs, window to vestry; 5-bay nave
arcades on octagonal piers; tower has C15 heavy chamfered
beams and joists. Chancel has C19 encaustic tiles copied from
Medieval originals found at church, C19 alabaster reredos with
mosaic to arcading, chancel rail on wrought-iron grid with
scrolled enrichment, similar screen to east bay of chapel
arcade, stalls with traceried fronts; chapel has 1897 timber
parclose screen with open tracery and brattishing, similar
screen to west, reredos with angels to riddel posts; panelled
timber pulpit on ashlar base, timber west gallery of 1765,
fielded panels on posts with strapwork; C15 octagonal font has
roll mouldings on panelled base with squat shaft. Good wall
memorials: Eleanor Bradney, d1817, by J.Stephens, relief of
Hope; William Pershouse, d1789, panel with concave pediment
between urns, flanking drapes, enriched apron; Thomas Bradney,
similar to that of Pershouse; John Marsh, d1802, by J.Flaxman,
relief figure below double cameo; Ann Bache Sedgwick, no date,
relief bust in draped frame. Good stained glass throughout,
particularly some possibly by Clayton and Bell to south aisle
and 1902 grisaille glass to vestry north window.
A church notable for its fine tower and collection of
monuments and glass.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: London:
1974-: P.323).


Listing NGR: SO8945295281

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.