Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2045 / 52°12'16"N
Longitude: -3.0384 / 3°2'18"W
OS Eastings: 329135
OS Northings: 256762
OS Grid: SO291567
Mapcode National: GBR F4.3BYY
Mapcode Global: VH778.9V2D
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Location: Kington, County of Herefordshire, HR5
County: County of Herefordshire
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Listing Date: 8 October 1953
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 385797
Source ID: 1208031
SO2956 CHURCH ROAD
643-1/1/37 (North West side)
08/10/53 Church of St Mary
Parish church. c1300, much altered. Sandstone rubble; plain
tile roof with shingles to spire. Nave, north and south aisles
(c1300), chancel (rebuilt early C14), Decorated south chapel
(c1320), south porch (early C14), tower, with double-broach
spire (rebuilt 1794); outer north aisle (c1874). Nave (rebuilt
early C14 with added aisle): arcades of 5 bays with octagonal
piers and double-chamfered arches. 1 original lancet survives
in south wall; C13 window reset in north wall of outer aisle.
Chancel has group of 3 stepped lancets to east and 6 smaller
lancets to north. INTERIOR: round arch with roll-moulding from
tower to south aisle; Norman circular font with rope-moulding
and incised zig-zag. Monuments: Thomas Vaughan, d.1469 and
wife Elena: alabaster effigies on tomb-chest with 10 by 4
alabaster angels (front and foot end) upright and holding
shields; William Matthews, d.1688: tablet with columns and, at
top, 2 standing putti; C18 and C19 commemorative tablets.
(RCHME: Herefordshire: 89).
Listing NGR: SO2913456764
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings