This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.487 / 52°29'13"N
Longitude: 1.7558 / 1°45'20"E
OS Eastings: 655088
OS Northings: 294308
OS Grid: TM550943
Mapcode National: GBR YTB.0RC
Mapcode Global: VHN3X.DR2B
Entry Name: High Lighthouse Including North Cottage and South Cottage
Listing Date: 13 December 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1209999
English Heritage Legacy ID: 391372
Location: Waveney, Suffolk, NR32
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Lowestoft Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TM5594SW YARMOUTH ROAD
914-1/6/88 (East side)
13/12/49 High Lighthouse including North
Cottage and South Cottage
Formerly known as: High Lighthouse HIGH STREET.
Lighthouse and keepers' house, now an automatic lighthouse and
2 houses: North Cottage and South Cottage. The first light on
the site was 1676, re-built 1853, with keepers' house to the
west essentially a single-storey version of the present
keepers' house. The whole re-built 1873. Stuccoed brick. Slate
2 storeys. A central 3-bay hipped block is flanked by gabled
ranges right and left receding east to enclose the circular
lighthouse tower itself. The main block and the side wings are
separated by thin recessed bays on the facade. The central
block has a small central pediment above a blind ground-floor
window and the coat-of-arms of Trinity House to the first
floor. Either side are one 8/8 sash to each floor in recessed
segmental panels. Modillion eaves cornice below hipped roof.
The narrow bays right and left have C20 doors below 4/4
sashes. The gable ends of the flanking wings are pierced by
one 6/6 sash each floor, set in recessed segmental panels.
Gabled roofs with modillion cornices. The central block has 2
tarred stacks on the rear roof slope and the side wings also
have 2 tarred side stacks above the return walls. These
returns are lit through one central 4/4 sash each floor.
The east gables of the side wings also have one 6/6 sash each
floor in recessed segmental panels.
The lighthouse tower is of 3 storeys: circular, with a gallery
at the lantern stage; glazed lantern surmounted by a
Listing NGR: TM5508894308
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings