History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Lawrence

A Grade II* Listed Building in Knodishall, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2024 / 52°12'8"N

Longitude: 1.5488 / 1°32'55"E

OS Eastings: 642592

OS Northings: 261952

OS Grid: TM425619

Mapcode National: GBR XQG.VT6

Mapcode Global: VHM7P.SXN1

Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence

Listing Date: 7 December 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1215745

English Heritage Legacy ID: 401015

Location: Knodishall, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP17

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Knodishall

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Knodishall St Lawrence

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Leiston

Listing Text

TM 46 SW KNODISHALL CHURCH ROAD

4/20 Church of St Lawrence

7.12.66

II*


Parish church. Mainly C14 and C15, much restored C19. Vestry added 1838.
Flint, with repairs in brick; plaintile roof. C15 4-stage west tower, diagonal
buttresses, some flushwork decoration to parapet with arms of Jenney family.
Original west doorway with square hood mould and carved shields in spandrels.
Blocked C12 doorway to north side of nave. South walls of nave and chancel have
2 late C15/early C16 brick windows; other windows of C14; blocked south doorway
to nave. Heavy brick buttresses to south wall added 1843. Nave and chancel
re-roofed at lower level in C19. Interior much restored. Octagonal font c1250,
on central pillar with 8 smaller pillars around it; early C17 pulpit. 4 traceried
panels of rood screen now beneath tower arch; cast iron coat of arms of William IV
on tower arch above. Part of trefoil-headed piscina in south sanctuary wall.
Brass to John Jenney, 1460, on north chancel wall.


Listing NGR: TM4259261952

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.