History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Welford, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4173 / 52°25'2"N

Longitude: -1.0586 / 1°3'30"W

OS Eastings: 464123

OS Northings: 280336

OS Grid: SP641803

Mapcode National: GBR 9RL.H5Q

Mapcode Global: VHCTN.LHQS

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 2 November 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1228655

English Heritage Legacy ID: 403313

Location: Welford, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN6

County: Northamptonshire

District: Daventry

Civil Parish: Welford

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Welford St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Husbands Bosworth

Listing Text

WELFORD CHURCH LANE
SP68SW (North side)
3/l19 Church of St. Mary
02/11/54

GV II*


Church. C13 to C15, and restored and north aisle rebuilt by E.F. Law 1872.
Regular coursed and squared coursed lias, limestone and cobble with lead-slate
and stone-slate roof. Aisled nave and chancel with west tower. Chancel: South
elevation of one-window range with 3-light window under 4-centred arch, north
elevation blank. 3-light east window with C19 Reticulated tracery. Gabled roof
with ashlar parapets and finial. South chantry chapel, late C14, of 2-window
range of 3-light windows with 4-centred arches; similar east window. Shallow
gabled roof with ashlar parapets, gargoyles at corners and bellcote at west
apex. South aisle of 4-window range of 2-light windows, that to far left is C14,
the others are C19. Lean-to roof with ashlar parapets. South porch C19, outer
arch decorated with fleurons. Clasping buttresses and ashlar gable parapet with
finial. North chapel C19 of 3-window range of 2-light windows with buttresses
between; similar 3-light east window. North aisle of 3-window range of 2-light
square-headed windows, probably C14 reset in C19. North door between window
range to right. Lean-to aisle and chapel, with ashlar copings. Nave clerestory
south elevation of 4-window range of 2-light windows under 4-centred arches.
North elevation of 5-window range of 2-light windows with square heads. Shallow
pitched roof with ashlar gable parapets. West tower Perpendicular of 4 stages
with shallow clasping buttresses. West door has 3 windows above. Tall 4-light
bell-chamber openings with transoms to each face of fourth stage. Castellated
ashlar parapet with gargoyles at corners. Interior: Perpendicular chancel arch.
2-bay south chapel arcade and one-bay north chapel arcade of C13
double-chamfered arches with large carved corbelled responds. 5-bay nave arcade,
that to the south is C13 with double-chamfered arches; each pier is different
with crocketted capitals, from left to right: circular, octagonal, cluster and
circular. The north arcade is C19 with different piers each having foliated
capitals. Piscina with ogee head to right of altar with sedilia adjacent.
Piscina in south aisle. C19 roof structures. Monuments: South chapel, monument
to Francis Saunders c.1585, marble tablet with incised brass tablet and veined
marble surround with shallow arched recesses, coats of arms and large armorial
device over, flanked by recumbent female figures. North aisle, chest tomb C13,
decorated with shields and quatrefdils with plain slab over, set in shallow
recess with segmental arch over, (probably all reset when the aisle was rebuilt
in C19). On chancel north wall a late C18 marble tablet to Payne family. Various
C19 marble tablets. Fragments of bench end with poppy head formed into reading
desk is probably C16. C17 Jacobean screen to north and south aisle chapels and
west tower arch. C19 stained glass to all windows in chancel, aisles and tower.
Font C14.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.450).


Listing NGR: SP6412380336

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.