Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.858 / 52°51'28"N
Longitude: -0.9749 / 0°58'29"W
OS Eastings: 469120
OS Northings: 329438
OS Grid: SK691294
Mapcode National: GBR BMM.SF3
Mapcode Global: WHFJL.0F2B
Entry Name: Canal Warehouse Approximately 50 Metres North North West of Wharf House
Location: Hickling, Rushcliffe, Nottinghamshire, LE14
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Listing Date: 25 September 1979
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 425604
Source ID: 1235817
HICKLING MAIN STREET
SK62NE (east side)
6/82 Canal Warehouse
25.9.79 Approx. 50 metres
north north west
of Wharf House
Canal warehouse. Late C18 or early C19. Brick, pantile roof.
Rectangular on plan. 2 storeys. Two small windows to each floor,
those on ground floor with segmental heads, those on 1st floor breaking
into the dentil eaves cornice. All with stone sill. The roof sweeps
over a continuous rear outshut whose rear wall has been rebuilt with
blockwork. In each gable end is a large doorway above which is a
smaller high-level doorway.
The Grantham Canal was authorised in 1793. This section from the
Trent to Leicestershire border was built by James Green, a surveyor
employed by Lord Middleton of Wollaton Hall. The remainder was built
by William King, agent to the Duke of Rutland at Belvoir.
C Cove-Smith. The Grantham Canal Today, 1974.
Listing NGR: SK6912029438
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings