History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Scrivelsby Court

A Grade I Listed Building in Scrivelsby, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1763 / 53°10'34"N

Longitude: -0.1013 / 0°6'4"W

OS Eastings: 526996

OS Northings: 366036

OS Grid: TF269660

Mapcode National: GBR JSV.Z1V

Mapcode Global: WHHKQ.DFZB

Entry Name: Scrivelsby Court

Location: Scrivelsby, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN9

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Parish: Scrivelsby

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Listing Date: 17 April 1961

Last Amended: 25 March 1987

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 435082

Source ID: 1252217

Listing Text

TF 26 NE SCRIVELSBY off MOORBY ROAD
(east side) (B1183)

4/135 Scrivelsby Court
17.4.61 (formerly listed as
G.V. I The Court)

Gatehouse, now small country house. Early C13, c.1380, 1574,
late C18, 1958-60 by S. Wright of Yorkshire. Red brick,
limestone ashlar dressings, some limestone rubble. Plain tile
roofs with stone coped and brick tumbled gables with finial on
south gable. Single gable and 2 ridge stacks with octagonal
stock brick shafts taken from the former early C19 house to the
east of the gatehouse, demolished in c.1960. 2 storeys, 6
irregular bay west front with C13 limestone rubble buttress to
left and small section of C13 rubble wall adjoining C13 rubble
north return wall. Remainder of ground floor to right, of c.1380
in red brick and defined by C16 moulded ashlar string course.
Carriage archway to left with shallow pointed head, rectangular
relievingarch, continuous moulded ashlar surround and filled in
with C20 wooden panelling containing rectangular porch with
double ribbed doors. Small rectangular squint to left with
rectangular ashlar hood mould and fragmentary ashlar bust,
probably early C13 and excavated from the north-east corner
foundations in 1958-60. Small rectangular opening above with
sharp triangular ashlar hood mould with a C13 king's head
inserted, also excavated from the foundations. Likewise a small
head immediately below and a couple of plain corbels. 2
rectangular windows to the right of carriage archway. That
immediately next to it had originally 3 cusped ogee headed lights
with an ashlar surround of c.1330, but was at some time opened up
into a doorway and now has a C20 3 light wooden mullion window,
with the hood mould of c.1380 remaining. The window beyond of
c.1380 is intact with 3 ogee headed cusped lights, ashlar
surround, hood mould and head label stops. Wooden 2 light
mullion window to the left of the carriage archway with ashlar
surround and hood mould. A similar window beyond inserted into a
blocked, ashlar dressed doorway with hood mould, semi-circular
head above blocked with brick. Break in bonding of brick to left
possibly where a buttress was placed as revealed in Buck's
engraving of 1726. Single 2 light C20 wooden mullion window
beyond, with ashlar surround and hood mould. First floor of
1574, above ashlar string course which rises above carriage
archway with rectangular plaque above with inverted shield and
scrolls. Small early C13 heal excavated from foundations, to
left. Above carriage archway is a vesica containing a quatrefoil
with ashlar rectangular hood nould and flanking ashlar string
course. Tumbled gable rises above with clockface and terminates
with rectangle containing cross. 4 rectangular windows to the
left, 3 rectangular windows to the right, all with ashlar
surrounds and 4 narrow lights with C20 wooden mullions. South
end with ground floor of c.1380 with C20 double glazed doors and
small rectangular opening in the brick to the left. Moulded
ashlar string course above and brickwork of 1574, with glazing
bar sash and brick band above. East front of 9 irregular bays
with bricwork of c.1380 just overlapping south-east corner with
several C13 limestone blocks below. 3 southern bays of C16
brick, the ground floor of the central 2 bays containing carriage
archway and doorway of brickwork of c.1380, with C16 brickwork
above. 4 bays to right rebuilt in 1958-60 re-using C16 brick.
Carriage archway to right with shallow pointed head, continuous
ashlar moulded surround and blocked by C20 mullion and transom
window. C16 doorway to right with pointed head, continuous
moulded ashlar surround and partially glazed ribbed door. Small
triangular headed opening above and 2 C13 stone corbels. Small
section of ashlar dressed plinth to left and 3 glazing bar sashes
in C18 openings, with segmental heads. Small horizontal C20
casement to right of doorway, and 3 glazing bar sashes with flat
heads beyond. Moulded ashlar string course above carriage
archway and doorway with rectangular plaque inscribed 1574 and
with a coat of arms. C13 animal head to left. Oval window above
inscribed with quatrefoil and rectangular ashlar hood mould,
flanked by ashlar string course. Tumbled gable rises above with
clock face and terminating in a rectangle inscribed with cross.
To the left, 2 glazing bar casements flank a single wooden
mullion window with 4 narrow lights. To the right a long C20
fixed glazing bar window, with 3 glazing bar casements beyond.
Low C20 stock brick additions to north of no interest. Interior
with single first floor wall level with north side of carriage
opening, of box framing with curved braces. Tie beam roof intact
with curved braces, upper sections covered in by plasterboard.
Hall window in eastern carriage archway with roundels and plaques
of C16 and C17 stained glass removed to the gatehouse from the
house, now demolished. They include a roundel with coat of arms
and inscribed 1662; a plaque also with a coat of arms and
inscribed 1658. There are six plaques of men dressed as knights
and courtiers, and several women, all in Elizabethan and early
Stuart dress. Smaller details include Christ and disciples
setting sail, St. Dunstan and the Devil, William Tell and St.
Catherine. Drawing room to the south includes 2 roundels of St.
Matthew and St. Mark and the red rose of Lancaster and the white
rose of York flanking a coat of arms. Hall and passage windows
to the north-west contain various stained glass coats of arms.
The first floor west window of a large quatrefoil contains 5
roundels, probably C17 Flemish in origin, including St. Peter and
St. Andrew, a female saint being led out of a classical city to
martyrdom, organ playing, reading and drinking scenes, and
grouped saints. C20 staircase and bolecton moulded stone
fireplaces. Situated on a double moated site, both moats
partially intact. Sources: Buch engraving of 1726 hanging in
the hall passage of Scrivelsby Court, and various photographic
albums recording the 1958-60 restoration. Banks. Volume 3,
p.281.


Listing NGR: TF2699666036

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.