This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7964 / 53°47'46"N
Longitude: -1.5666 / 1°33'59"W
OS Eastings: 428644
OS Northings: 433426
OS Grid: SE286334
Mapcode National: GBR BDL.2W
Mapcode Global: WHC9C.XV50
Entry Name: Castleton Mill
Listing Date: 5 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1256356
English Heritage Legacy ID: 464976
Location: Leeds, LS12
Locality: City and Hunslet
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Armley with New Wortley
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE2833 ARMLEY ROAD
714-1/34/19 (North side (off))
05/02/87 Castleton Mill
Steam-powered flax-spinning mill, now works. 1838, with later
C19 additions. By Matthew Murray, with additions by 1850 and
1884, the latter to designs by JM Fawcett of Leeds. Red brick
in English garden wall bond, 3:1; slate roof.
4 storeys, 18 bays with chimney at NW end incorporated in
later 2-storey extension. Main range: ashlar plinth;
small-paned wooden cross windows in openings with
slightly-cambered brick arches and projecting stone sills;
various doorways and pentices; 3-storey bow at NW corner.
Full-height projecting bowed stair turret to SE gable having
ground-floor doorway, 3 windows to each floor and flanked by
blind windows in end wall of main range; hipped roof.
At NW end is extension; stone-coped twin gables having, on SW
side, an oculus to the apex and bellcote to one gable and a
finial to the other. From this rises the tapering octagonal
INTERIOR: the first 3 floors have a central row of circular
cast-iron columns supporting inverted T-beams which carry
brick-arched fireproof floors. Wooden roof trusses.
The mill originally had a beam engine by Fenton, Murray and
Wood at the NW end. Originally built for flax spinning, the
mill had a weaving shed added by the 1850s; after the early
1860s it was used mainly for linen and woollen manufacture.
Part of the complex has been demolished.
(RCHME: Giles, C & Goodall, I: Yorkshire Textile Mills
1770-1930: 1992-: 44, 92, 99, 222).
Listing NGR: SE2864433426
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings