Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2562 / 51°15'22"N
Longitude: 1.3477 / 1°20'51"E
OS Eastings: 633684
OS Northings: 156111
OS Grid: TR336561
Mapcode National: GBR X1G.5KF
Mapcode Global: VHLGS.9PTB
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Location: Worth, Dover, Kent, CT14
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Listing Date: 11 October 1963
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 429260
Source ID: 1263919
WORTH THE STREET
TR 35 NW (South side)
1/163 Church of St.
11.10.63 St. Paul
Parish Church. C12 origin, remodelled C13 and C19. Restored 1888 by
James Brooks. Flint and rubble with ragstone chancel. Plain tiled roof
and shingled spire. Chancel with north and south chapels, nave with south
aisle, west tower and north porch. West tower 2 bays wide with central
offset buttress. Two renewed C12 lancets. Shingle spire overhanging
timber tower. Hollow moulded C13 west doorway. Large gabled dormer over
south aisle. C19 fenestration throughout, except 2 trecusped ogee headed
lights in north chapel. Timber glazed north porch, the north doorway within
renewed C12 with attached shafts and roll moulding, the whole looking as if
re-set here from elsewhere. Interior: reveals of west lancets C12. The
thickness of the walling at the south-west and of the nave and the large
round pier here remain from an original square, west tower removed 1888.
Nave roof structure, C19 barrel vault, stops 1 bay short of west wall with
intrusive frame for belfry. South arcade of 5 simple pointed arches on
crudely capitalled round piers. Two bay chamfered arcade to north chapel
on octagonal piers. C19 chancel arch and chancel. Fittings: C19 chancel
encaustic tiles and painted marble reredos. Trecusped piscina in south
aisle. C16 octagonal font with alternating shields and roses, taken from
Eastry church. C18 round vase shaped font on bulbous stem. Arms of George
III on north nave wall. Originally a chapel of Eastry. (See BOE Kent II
Listing NGR: TR3376156191
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings