Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.1059 / 55°6'21"N
Longitude: -1.7812 / 1°46'52"W
OS Eastings: 414054
OS Northings: 579077
OS Grid: NZ140790
Mapcode National: GBR J90D.5G
Mapcode Global: WHC2W.MX0M
Entry Name: Ogle Castle
Location: Whalton, Northumberland, NE20
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Listing Date: 29 April 1987
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 428716
Source ID: 1264065
NZ 17 NW
6/151 Ogle Castle
House, probably hall block of former castle. Main block an early C16 remodelling
of medieval fabric; west wing a C16 addition; mid C20 restoration and minor
additions. Main block squared stone, wing large rubble; cut dressings; stone
slate roof. L-plan.
South elevation in 2 sections: main block 2 storeys, 4 bays, irregular: studded
door in chamfered surround with hoodmould; two 3-light windows on left and one
on right. 2-light windows above. Sundial above left of door inscribed 1717, SK.
All windows leaded casements in double-chamfered surrounds, some renewed, with
4-centred-arched lights and hollow-chamfered hoodmoulds. Right-gable coped,
with stepped-and-corniced stack; double stack on ridge. Slightly-projecting
cross-gabled 3-storey left bay: similar 3-light windows, the upper transomed,
and smaller 2-light window on 2nd floor. Left return of wing shows projecting
stack with corbelled-out projection on left; scattered fenestration, mostly C20;
2-storey C20 bay on far left.
Rear elevation of main block shows C16 1st-floor windows of two 4-centred-arched
lights to either side of small C20 stair wing. Inner return of wing on right
shows two old 2-light windows, the upper lacking its mullion.
Interior: Dining room (hall) has large fireplace with moulded surround partly
cut away; sitting room (kitchen) has large segmental-arched fireplace with
rounded arris. Oak room in wing has smaller fireplace in moulded surround
re-set from 1st floor. Contemporary ceilings with hollow stop-chamfered beams
and grooved joists. Several doorways with chamfered surrounds; doorways and
windows show segmental rear arches. Pair of 2-centred-arched doorways where
north wall joins wing; one with chamfered arch, another, blocked, with stepped
arch. Segmental arch above carried newel stair starting from 1st floor, where
part of stairwell and 2 square-headed doorways remain. Smaller C16 fireplaces
on 1st floor. Roof of main block shows 7 principal-rafter trusses with collars,
perhaps re-set, and chamfered single-light window now opening into roof of wing.
Historical Note. The house may have been the main hall of a castle with curtain
wall and half-round towers. Licence to crenellate granted to Robert de Ogle
1341. Hutchinson in 1776 records the remains of a circular tower to east of
the house, demolished when gable end rebuilt and farm buildings added.
C20 extensions on north are not of special interest.
Listing NGR: NZ1405479077
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings