This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1038 / 53°6'13"N
Longitude: -2.0518 / 2°3'6"W
OS Eastings: 396627
OS Northings: 356293
OS Grid: SJ966562
Mapcode National: GBR 24N.J2B
Mapcode Global: WHBCH.G75W
Entry Name: Westwood Hall
Listing Date: 10 March 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1268548
English Heritage Legacy ID: 461711
Location: Leek, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST13
District: Staffordshire Moorlands
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Leek St Edward the Confessor
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ95NE WESTWOOD PARK AVENUE
611-1/1/138 (West side)
10/03/75 Westwood Hall
House, in use as school since c1920. 1850-53. By Hadfield
Weightman and Goldie. For John Davenport, son of John
Davenport the founder of the Davenport Pottery Company at
Leek. Red sandstone ashlar with plain and scallop-tiled roofs.
Jacobean style with robust detailing throughout.
EXTERIOR: 2-storeyed with attics. Entrance front: clock tower
towards left, with round archway with heavy voussoirs and
keystone in lower storey, 2 and 4-light mullioned windows
above. Oriel window in main range set beneath tower. Coped
gables over clock in each elevation, and gableted turret
finial with weather vane.
To right of tower, 5-window range symmetrically planned with
central projecting full-height entrance porch flanked by
canted bay windows with 3-mullioned lights, and outer 4-light
mullioned and transomed windows with leaded glazing.
Continuous cill band to first-floor windows, which are also
mullioned and transomed, and all windows have hollow
chamfering to mullions, and dripmoulds. Round-arched doorway
to porch, chamfered and with pendant keystone. 4-light
mullioned and transomed window above. Segmental pediment to
parapet of porch. 3 coped gables with ball finials to attics.
Garden front: 8-window range, asymmetrical, with 3 gabled
range terminated by higher gable to right. 2-storeyed canted
bay window in left-hand gable, and paired 4-light mullioned
and transomed windows in central gable. (3-lights to first
Right-hand gable has full-height bow window with conical roof.
Advanced and higher gable beyond, of 3 full-storeys with
paired 4-light mullioned and transomed windows with leaded
patterned glazing, and round-arched mullions. Upper windows of
3 and 2-lights to first floor, 4 and 2-lights to attic. Gable
itself coped, with stack at right-hand angle. Return wing to
right and rear range (service ranges) are brick, also
2-storeyed with attic dormers. Various axial and end wall
INTERIOR: retains much of original layout, arranged on a
courtyard plan, with principal rooms overlooking garden, and
full-height great hall behind clock tower. Much original
detail also survives, including plaster ceilings, and
fireplaces of principal rooms. Of the fireplaces, one has
monochromatic tiles illustrating crafts in the style of de
Morgan, and another has heavy overmantel enriched with
strapwork. The entrance hall and staircase were reinstated
after serious fire damage in 1983, the stained glass in the
stair window largely salvaged.
Listing NGR: SJ9662756293
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings