History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Breakwater Fort

A Grade II Listed Building in Portland, Dorset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.585 / 50°35'6"N

Longitude: -2.4142 / 2°24'51"W

OS Eastings: 370773

OS Northings: 76223

OS Grid: SY707762

Mapcode National: GBR PZ.M24Z

Mapcode Global: FRA 57TJ.C96

Entry Name: Breakwater Fort

Location: Portland Harbour, Portland, Weymouth and Portland, Dorset, DT5

County: Dorset

Locality: Portland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Listing Date: 21 September 1978

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 382002

Source ID: 1280475

Listing Text


PORTLAND

SY67SE PORTLAND HARBOUR, H.M. Naval Base
969-1/1/158 Breakwater Fort
21/09/78

GV II

Breakwater fort. c1860, but considerably modified and extended
in 1884, 1900, 1912 and later. Portland stone, concrete,
armour-plate steel. Locally known as "Palmerston's Folly",
this was one of 4 coastal defence forts provided, others being
at Plymouth and Spithead. Later armaments added in both World
Wars.A small jetty running to the SW is formed over 3
segmental arches with quoins and keystones, approached by a
slow- rising long staircase/ramp, left, and a steeper flight
of stairs to the right; extends also to left, including
unroofed 3-bay stone structure. Main fort includes 35m
diameter iron core with foundations c 9m below sea level; a
ring of masonry capped with concrete on granite sub-structure
c 7m above sea level. The iron structure has 2 rings of iron
box girders fanning from central well, forming a floor and a
roof level; concave fluted underside sloping to gunports,
supported by pillars between casemate ports. Walls are three
thicknesses of 15cm plate backed by armour bars; roof also of
concrete-capped iron. 14 guns installed 1874-75. In 1884 a
steam engine was added to supply ammunition and operate the
guns. Upper level altered by installation in 1900 of 2 heavy
gun emplacements, and later by substitution of an armoured gun
tower for the original lantern. Central well is octagonal
faced with ashlar and with Roach stone rustication to each
arched entry; spiral cast-iron staircase to upper level.


Listing NGR: SY7077376223

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Outer Breakwater
    Portland Harbour, Portland, Weymouth and Portland, Dorset, DT5

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.