This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3022 / 52°18'7"N
Longitude: -0.9868 / 0°59'12"W
OS Eastings: 469187
OS Northings: 267599
OS Grid: SP691675
Mapcode National: GBR 9T1.PB6
Mapcode Global: VHDRQ.VD6H
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 2 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1281660
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360204
Location: Holdenby, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN6
Civil Parish: Holdenby
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: East Haddon and Holdenby St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
Church of All Saints
Church. C14 and C19. Restored by Sir G.G. Scott 1868. Lias ashlar with
plain fishscale tile roof. Aisled nave chancel and west tower. Chancel C19
to the design of Sir Henry Dryden of Canons Ashby is of 3-window range of
lancets with gabled buttresses between. Triple lancet east window with
lozenge window above. Organ chamber projection on north side of chancel.
Ashlar gable parapets, kneelers and finial. South aisle probably C14 restored
1868 is of 2-window range of 3-light windows with reticulated tracery with
similar east and west windows. C19 gabled porch between windows. Gabled
roof with ashlar gable parapets. North aisle of 3-window range of 2-light C14
square-headed windows. North door between windows 2 and 3 from left has
pointed arched head. Lean-to roof with ashlar gable parapet. Nave clerestory
wall only partially visible by gabled roof. West tower of 3 stages with
clasping buttress at west and angle buttress at junction with nave
incorporating remains of gargoyle above first stage. Ground-floor west window
of 2 lights with pointed arched head. 2-light bell openings to each face of
third stage. Crenellated parapet. Interior: C14 nave arcade of 3 bays with
double chamfered arches and octagonal piers the south side having hollow
chamfers. Blocked quatrefoil clerestory windows on north wall of nave.
Double chamfered chancel arch. Chancel walls painted with C19 motifs, C19
roofs. C14 glazed floor tiles in belfry. C17 painted inscription has
strapworth surrounds. Stained glass: west window by Powell, several other
windows including the east window contain C19 stained glass. Monuments:
Incised alabaster slab to William Holdenby died 1490 and wife at east end
of south aisle. C14 grave slab alongside. Piscina with ribbed head in south
aisle. C19 misericords in chancel and stall c.1720, French with ribbon
work. Chancel and belfry screens and reredos reputed to have formed part
of the hall screen to Holdenby Palace C17, has Roman Doric columns, metope
frieze with slender columns to sections above dados. The top and middle
arch with tapering pilasters flanked by 2 foliage volutes with openwork.
The village which was immediately to the south was moved when Holdenby
Palace was built.
(Buildings of England : Northamptonshire, p.260).
Listing NGR: SP6918767599
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings