History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ellen Wilkinson High School

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ardwick, Manchester

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4693 / 53°28'9"N

Longitude: -2.2164 / 2°12'58"W

OS Eastings: 385734

OS Northings: 396978

OS Grid: SJ857969

Mapcode National: GBR DQM.RB

Mapcode Global: WHB9N.X2R4

Entry Name: Ellen Wilkinson High School

Listing Date: 3 October 1974

Last Amended: 6 June 1994

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1291812

English Heritage Legacy ID: 388201

Location: Manchester, M12

County: Manchester

Locality: Ardwick

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Longsight St Luke

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Listing Text


MANCHESTER

SJ8596 HYDE ROAD, Ardwick
698-1/21/481 (North side)
03/10/74 Ellen Wilkinson High School
(Formerly Listed as:
HYDE ROAD, Ardwick
(North side)
Nicholls Ardwick High School)

GV II*

Formerly known as: Nicholls Hospital HYDE ROAD Ardwick.
Charity school, now High School. 1867-80, by Thomas
Worthington, for Benjamin Nicholls. Red brick with sandstone
dressings and steeply-pitched slate roofs. Rectangular
double-pile main range, with various extensions and additions
to rear. Gothic style. Two high storeys with basement and
attic, 11 bays, symmetrical, with central tower breaking
forwards; deep stone sill-bands to all floors, small stone
tourelles to the corners, gabled stone half-dormers, and
central tower rising 2 stages above the eaves, with
machicolated stone parapet and corner tourelles, and steep
saddle-back roof with gableted 3-light windows and ridge
cresting. The entrance in the base of the tower, approached by
a long flight of steps with stone balustrades, has a 2-centred
arched doorway with moulded surround and double-doors with
Gothic panelling, flanked by canopied Gothic niches; the 1st
and 2nd floors have a tiered stone oriel with stepped parapet
rising to a canopied niche flanked by lancets at 3rd floor.
The 5-bay side ranges have stone cross-windows to all floors,
all with quoined surrounds and those at 1st floor with
straight dripmoulds; and the attic dormers are slightly
corbelled out and have Gothic enrichment. Stone coping to the
gables with heraldic finials. Interior not inspected. History:
established by Benjamin Nicholls as memorial to his son John
Ashton Nicholls, died in 1859 after a short life of service to
the poor of Ancoats and Ardwick. Forms group with forecourt
wall, gate piers and gates (q.v.), and with memorials to
Benjamin Nicholls (q.v.) and John Ashton Nicholls (q.v.).


Listing NGR: SJ8573496978

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.