This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9164 / 50°54'59"N
Longitude: -1.2024 / 1°12'8"W
OS Eastings: 456164
OS Northings: 113300
OS Grid: SU561133
Mapcode National: GBR 998.GTN
Mapcode Global: FRA 86CP.9CC
Entry Name: Church of St John
Listing Date: 1 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1301876
English Heritage Legacy ID: 146193
Location: Shedfield, Winchester, Hampshire, SO32
Civil Parish: Shedfield
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Shedfield
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
SHEDFIELD CHURCH ROAD
SU 51 SE
6/7 Church of St John
Parish church. 1875, by Colson, Tower of 1887, of Early English style. Walls of
squared limestone rubble with Bath stone dressings; plinth, stepped buttresses
(diagonal at the corners): large east and west windows with Geometrical Tracery,
aisle windows of grouped (2 or 3) lancets, a rose window above triple lancets to the
south transept, circular clearstory frame with pointed cinquefoil lights. Steep
tile roof. Tower of four stages, plinth, entrance doorway on the south side,
buttresses with gabled steps, crenellated parapet and crocketted corner pinnacles.
Of regular arrangement, nave of five bays with aisles, tower at the west bay of the
south aisle, chancel with north and south transepts, north porch. Inside, the
walls are of red brickwork with yellow (some black) banding, the soffit of the
pointed arches being cut with a dog-tooth pattern: the columns are placed
diagonally with stone shafts, with base and band mouldings, and elaborately carved
leaf caps. The fittings are all of the period; stone pulpit, octagonal font (in
the eastern most bay of the south aisle), light wood chancel screen.
Listing NGR: SP5364708496
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings