This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0229 / 51°1'22"N
Longitude: -1.3151 / 1°18'54"W
OS Eastings: 448134
OS Northings: 125064
OS Grid: SU481250
Mapcode National: GBR 86F.Y1D
Mapcode Global: FRA 864D.TRY
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 5 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1302086
English Heritage Legacy ID: 145949
Location: Twyford, Winchester, Hampshire, SO21
Civil Parish: Twyford
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Twyford St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 42 NE TWYFORD BERRY LANE
5/42 CHURCH OF ST MARY
5/12/55 (formerly listed under
Parish church. 1875-8 by R A Waterhouse incorporating older materials.
Knapped flint with brick bands and stone dressings, plain and fishscale tiles.
On site falling from E to W. Plan of nave with clerestory and aisles, tall
chancel with slightly lower ridges. S and N chapels (that to N vestry) and NW
tower with porch under. E end of chancel has stone plinth and offset below
4-light perp. window and kneelered gable. Chapels set back with plinths and
buttress to N. Reused 3-light C15 perp. windows pointed to S square to N.
N chapel has reused pointed door and square-headed cinquefoil windows and
similar windows to S. Aisles have plinths which steps down towards W, and
2 and 3-light square-headed cinquefoils. Clerestory has C15 square-headed
trefoiled 2-light windows some C19 work. At W end of S aisle wide pointed
doorway. At W end of N aisle tower, with wide pointed N door between
buttresses to top of 2nd stage. NE half-octagon stair turret rising to same
level, and similar buttresses to W. Top stage has flint and brick chequer-
work with pointed 2-light openings, stone crennelations and short octagonal
tiled spire with vane. Pointed 3-light window to S aisle. and large 5-light
pointed W nave window. Inside chancel has elaborate reredos with painted
panels and similar each side above panelling. Painted barrel vaulted roofs
to chancel and S chapel. Tall chancel arch and 6 steps down to body of
church. Nave has 5 arcade bays with reused late C12 round piers with trumpet-
scallop, broad leaf, unusual diagonal fluting capitals. In N aisle C12
Purbeck octagonal font with blank arcading. Monuments in S chapel: 1616 to
Dulcebella Welles, alabaster frame to black inscription panel, strongly convex
with crest below and pilasters each side. In S aisle tablets: 1719 to Jona-
thon Shipley; 1796 to Elizabeth Shipley; 1800 to Amelia Shipley. At W end of
nave monuments: 1726 to William Davies by R Leversuch, similar to 1616 mon.;
1788 to Jonathon Shipley, Bishop of St Asaph by F Nollekens of large inscrip-
tion tablet supporting grey obelisk with bust in profile and bishop's trophys,
and tablet panel below; 1806 to Georgiana Naylor (née Shipley) by J Flaxman,
inscription panel supporting reading woman seated in front of squat obelisk.
Listing NGR: SU4817425094
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings